World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i really want to get into spinning but i have no idea were to start i live in brighton so any tips for spinning round that area will be good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First of all, you will need a spinning rod and reel.
Sea spinning rods are much lighter than typical seafishing shore rods and are usually 9 to 10ft long and designed to cast between 20 and 50gms spinners/lures.
Fixed spool reels are ideal for spinning, get one in the 40 or 50 size range. Line should be between 10 and 12lb B.S.
Buy lures that are heavy enough to cast without adding extra weight as this can alter the way the lure works, something you want to avoid. The 'Dexter Wedge' is a great all-rounder, with sizes between 28 and 45gms being very popular; these will take most predatory fish.
If you use a spinner that is heavier than 1oz (28gms) and you are using 10lb line, use an appropriate leader attached to your mainline.

For marks in the Brighton area, try the pier or the marina. Newhaven, West arm or East arm are good too. If you can do it, without tangling other anglers' lines, cast lengthwise along the pier or marina wall. Casting straight out will take fish, but you will have more success if you spin close to places where big fish lie in wait for little fish to swim by, such as pier piles, harbour walls etc, particularly where the tidal-flow is broken resulting in swirling eddies in the water and calm-spots where small fish will congregate to shelter from the current.

The time of day is quite important when spinning. Evening through to dusk and near dark is best. Very early morning can be productive too. You can catch fish during most hours of daylight, but the fading light triggers a feeding response in predatory fish, as it is much harder for them to hunt at night with little or no visibility, so they have a very active period as the sun is setting.

Spinning is a great form of angling and the effort can produce good and satisfying results.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First of all, you will need a spinning rod and reel.
Sea spinning rods are much lighter than typical seafishing shore rods and are usually 9 to 10ft long and designed to cast between 20 and 50gms spinners/lures.
Fixed spool reels are ideal for spinning, get one in the 40 or 50 size range. Line should be between 10 and 12lb B.S.
Buy lures that are heavy enough to cast without adding extra weight as this can alter the way the lure works, something you want to avoid. The 'Dexter Wedge' is a great all-rounder, with sizes between 28 and 45gms being very popular; these will take most predatory fish.
If you use a spinner that is heavier than 1oz (28gms) and you are using 10lb line, use an appropriate leader attached to your mainline.

For marks in the Brighton area, try the pier or the marina. Newhaven, West arm or East arm are good too. If you can do it, without tangling other anglers' lines, cast lengthwise along the pier or marina wall. Casting straight out will take fish, but you will have more success if you spin close to places where big fish lie in wait for little fish to swim by, such as pier piles, harbour walls etc, particularly where the tidal-flow is broken resulting in swirling eddies in the water and calm-spots where small fish will congregate to shelter from the current.

Spinning is a great form of angling and the effort can produce good results.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone over the last week i have been thinking about having a bash at spinning,ive not fished for years,since i was a kid.i have had a look in the angling centre and on the net for a rod and reel and have decided on

shakespeare royalty 11ft £28
shimano nexave 4000ra £31

are these ok or should i be look for something different.any tips on what quality line and spinners/plugs i should be choosing.

one last thing any good spots i can go around south/east devon ie: budleigh,sidmouth,exmouth,dawlish,torbay etc.

thank you very much hope you can help
V1CAR

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I favour a good quality 12lb line and go to the trouble of testing it to see if it really is 12lbs. I think 2 spinning rods are the ideal solution one to cover the 1 to 2oz range and another for lower weights including plugs etc. This will usually be 7 to 30 grms and is likely to be the more expensive rod if it's strong and casts well. You might want to use 6 or 8lb line with that rod so go for a reel that comes with a spare spool. I much prefer rear drag reels for this sort of thing as you may want to play with it if you hit something big. The heavier rod can also be used for float and live/dead bait etc so if you want a single reel to do all jobs in this area go for a baitrunner. Daiwa bite and run reels offer that and a rear drag too. I'm not aware of any others that do. They have a fairly good reputation despite their low price. They may also still do the Brit 50/50 at the dearer end which is a very solid reel that comes with 3 spools. One of those could be loaded with floating braid for float fishing etc.

If your going for just one rod the heavier one is probably best. If you look for a lighter one later I personally would look for a salmon spinning rod about 8ft long. These are often really manufactured for the US market and have to be able to handle big fish - they won't be cheap though. Mine's a hardy favourite but there are others. I've had it for about 14 years and can't see my self buying another - no point. It's money well spent.

Some use 2 1/2 lb carp rods for the heavier end. Tip weight isn't to much of a problem if the handle is tucked under the fore arm but good ones that cast well are expensive. Go for one that locks under load and beware of those that just continue to bend.

John

·
Registered
489 Posts
i have a 9ft berkley lightning rod for spinning and it is awesome, almost given up sitting on the beach with a beachcaster because of it!! when you hit into a fish you really know about it!! in all a brilliant rod and so much fun.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hello everyone over the last week i have been thinking about having a bash at spinning,ive not fished for years,since i was a kid.i have had a look in the angling centre and on the net for a rod and reel and have decided on

are these ok or should i be look for something different.any tips on what quality line and spinners/plugs i should be choosing.

one last thing any good spots i can go around south/east devon ie: budleigh,sidmouth,exmouth,dawlish,torbay etc.

thank you very much hope you can help
V1CAR
I have a royalty XL and it's a nice rod but more suited to heavier lures, 30-60g rather than spinners, you'd have no chance using a mepps style on it because it doesn't have enough weight, but I can throw a wedge 40m with it without too much effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts

are these going to be ok for plugging and spinning of should i be looking for something different?
if not any ideas for a similar price?

·
Registered
127 Posts
i use a fresh water shakespeare specimin 11ft carbon rod 2.25 test curve with a mitchell 400 with 15lb braid and 15lb clear fluro leader for lure fishing . no probs yet and great fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts