World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Spitting Wire- Hopping Mad!!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  self determination 
#1 ¡
I enjoyed a good session last night, much needed after a few single fish/blanks. I was pleased to have four on white teasers, all around 50cm, by first light, but after taking a brief dunking went ashore to wash my reel out in the stream. I treated myself to a coffee and a smoke as the tide began to push and it got properly light. I don't usually catch much in the light, and it gets harder to reach the holding area as it floods, so I clipped on a Spitting Wire and whacked it out, aiming to fish it dead slow. Second cast it was hit with no warning, and after a great scrap saw it was the nicest looking bass I've caught, only around 55cm, but very fat and silvery. I'm not ashamed to say its condition was to seal its fate ( I like to take a fish to join my home-grown potatoes this time of year), and I lead it ashore to beach it. As I concentrated on not falling over again it kicked off, but I didn't curse, half of me was glad. I returned to my bouder and just before casting noticed the rear treble was missing. Closer inspection revealed that the wire had come away from the body. Fortunately I saw the treble in the fish's bottom jaw, and the barbs were pinched so hopefully that will be gone by now.
The lure has only seen a couple of hour's use, and as they are well over twenty quid I'm gutted. After (stupidly?) reducing the amount of lures I carry for short night sessions I only had a big Patch. as a substitute, and wondered if it would still be takeable. Next cast I knew the answer, and ended up with a further three 48-53cm on it before the tide forced me off at six-thirty. I've never caught that late before, so it was nice to know it's possible on that mark.
I intend to photograph it and send to the makers for their comments.I'll have to find the box for details, but I pin them all upin the barn as a reminder of what I've spent! My wife thinks they're a fiver each :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Anyone else had this happen on a Spitting Wire?

See less See more
#9 ¡
Not many lures come through wired, always seal the loops with epoxy and keep the saltwater out.
No Spittin Wires for sale when I looked so I got some off Ali no idea how they compare, they do the Livewire smaller or lighter brother as well. Both cast very well.

#10 ¡
Not many lures come through wired, always seal the loops with epoxy and keep the saltwater out.
No Spittin Wires for sale when I looked so I got some off Ali no idea how they compare, they do the Livewire smaller or lighter brother as well. Both cast very well.
It looks as if the weld between each side of the lure has failed, after very little use.It may be possible to repair effectively.Good tip on sealing the loops, I'll sit down and do a box at a time. I've always been pleased with my Ali Ex copies, my hounds have been battered and re-sprayed and are still watertight.

#11 ¡
Standard Italian fare, excellent design,poor execution,lol. Great session and the consolation, if any, is at least it wasn't a monster. It's funny how that morning deal goes, odd times when it's cloudy they seem to hang on a bit later in some areas we fish. When it's a bright clear morning it can be done before it's light.
SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.