World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all could anybody tell me what there think of the 6500ct sports mag as i have just purchased one. cheers:g:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hi all could anybody tell me what there think of the 6500ct sports mag as i have just purchased one. cheers:g:
iv had a sports mag about 2 years now ,nice looking reel but not as good as the mag elites ,just not as robust ,the placky bit for adjusting the mag is flimsy im on my second placky bit but i dont use the reel much now, tend to use the mag elites more and more,have heard there is a metal replacement for the placky bit but i aint come across one yet?

cheers chris

·
King of the Plaice
1,460 Posts
See you cast with INXS's, I've been using a pair of these for the last 10yrs until I upgraded recently and any 6500 size reel is a perfect match for these rods. If you fish cleanish sandy/shingle beaches they'll do you proud! Not too suited to the rough stuff, they cast like a dream mate. Strip it down every 4-5 trips to clean the bearings, re-oil, re-grease and you'll have very little trouble

tightlines!

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
the biggest problem is its easy for sand or grit to get under the ring

[nothing worse than sand in your ring:blink: ]

this will make it grind or lock up. should be fine of sand free venues though. dont use on a sandy beach on windy days.

·
Registered
462 Posts
not bad reels hate my mag elite aswell they are Cr*p struggle to wind in a doggie over the pier i have 2 brand new ones for sale if any body intrested pm me :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
The big nylon cog on the LHS of the spool drastically cuts down on distance and also unbalances the spool, get a brass bullet to replace it. Also as previously mentioned, sand gets under the mag adjuster ring which is a real pain. The biggest reason that I got rid of mine and switched to mag elites though, is that if you are right handed and cast with the reel down the butt, as you bring the cast around, your grip on the rod/reel ( the span between index finger and thumb) can actually move the ring and inadvertantly back off the mags mid cast resulting in no end of crack offs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts