World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching on this illustrious forum of tackle knowledge I decided on my new bass rod, the Abu Premium Bass, a reel:) deal at 50 notes (half price) from Spotty Dog.

Ordered from Richard in the afternoon, nice fella, and blow me down the rod appears by courier next morning - amazing, as I live in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately 3 rings have been squashed slightly on the right side, so that they are now more oval than round. There is no functional damage, the whipping is fine, but I call up and arrange for the rod to be picked up. No more in stock, so no replacement possible!

The courier fails to arrive or call - b*mmer, I've wasted the afternoon!

Spotty Dog rescues the day by refunding me 30 notes though, so the 100 quid Abu Premium Bass has cost me £20!

Here's a photo of 1 of the rings - what do you think?

Attachments

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
Fish on with it, mate. Shouldn't make any difference to it.
Trying to fix it might **** it up though.
Nice bargain there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish on with it, mate. Shouldn't make any difference to it.
Trying to fix it might **** it up though.
Nice bargain there.
That's what I reckon too m8. I don't think I could bend the rings back, probably just break them!

Funny really, I'd actually prefer an undamaged one for 50 quid than an absolute steal at 20 notes. I like a bargain as much as the next man, so it doesn't make a lot of sense really:blink: Still, I'm not complaining and I do think Spotty Dog did a good job :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Are they lined rings Neil.....I can't quite see in the picture.

TBH I would just leave it as it is, like Pat says they work fine just now if you try to fix them you could break them. Getting the rod for 20 quid sounds like a bargain.

The guys at Spottydog have done you a really fair deal thats for sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they lined rings Neil.....I can't quite see in the picture.

TBH I would just leave it as it is, like Pat says they work fine just now if you try to fix them you could break them. Getting the rod for 20 quid sounds like a bargain.

The guys at Spottydog have done you a really fair deal thats for sure.
They are all stainless bigads, so I suppose I could try and bend them, but..... I think I'll leave it, it really is just cosmetic.

Yeah, Spottydog rules!

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
the legs will probably go back into shape with gentle pressure from your fingers. dont use pliers. i have straightened lined rings without damaging the eye.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Yeah we try our best to please the customer:clap3: and you got a deal that will never be repeated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats pretty strange, my Abu Premium Bass rod has lined guides!!!!!
Hi again vaughan,

ta for putting me onto the rod in the first place m8!

The bag says: abu premium bass bandit, bar code premium bass 12' - 1078263

The rod says: premium graphite carbon
1078263 bass 12' 360cm casts 2-4 oz (56-112G) F22

I say the rings are not lined,

I also say 'Thanks Apollo525' & Spottydog!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bought one of the new Mag Elites from Spotty Dog recently through their shop on Ebay and it arrived with the handle and reel foot bent. I contacted them and they immediately replaced it with another and this arrived with the handle bent too! After contacting them again Richard asked me to phone him, which I did. He apologised and said he'd discovered the problem - too close a fit in the box owing to the larger handle for it to offer protection in transit - and offered me another replacement plus a £10 refund. By the time he rounded off the return postage costs this came to £13.

The second replacement arrived undamaged and there was not a lot of time lost owing to their speedily addresing the problem. It's only when things go wrong that you discover who the really good dealers are. In this case I was satisfied and I have since bought again from spotty Dog.

I wonder, though, whether their courier, ANT, is not more than a bit clumsy. Even allowing for the poor protection ofered by the boxes the reels must have received a considerable clout for them to have been damaged, and then GBneil's rod arrived with a damaged rings.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi again vaughan,

ta for putting me onto the rod in the first place m8!

The bag says: abu premium bass bandit, bar code premium bass 12' - 1078263

The rod says: premium graphite carbon
1078263 bass 12' 360cm casts 2-4 oz (56-112G) F22

I say the rings are not lined,

I also say 'Thanks Apollo525' & Spottydog!!
No worries mate please to help, shame about the damage, but at least you got a good deal.

Interesting that the 12ft version has different guides. Mine is 11,6 and has the lined guides.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought one of the new Mag Elites from Spotty Dog recently through their shop on Ebay and it arrived with the handle and reel foot bent. I contacted them and they immediately replaced it with another and this arrived with the handle bent too! After contacting them again Richard asked me to phone him, which I did. He apologised and said he'd discovered the problem - too close a fit in the box owing to the larger handle for it to offer protection in transit - and offered me another replacement plus a £10 refund. By the time he rounded off the return postage costs this came to £13.

The second replacement arrived undamaged and there was not a lot of time lost owing to their speedily addresing the problem. It's only when things go wrong that you discover who the really good dealers are. In this case I was satisfied and I have since bought again from spotty Dog.

I wonder, though, whether their courier, ANT, is not more than a bit clumsy. Even allowing for the poor protection ofered by the boxes the reels must have received a considerable clout for them to have been damaged, and then GBneil's rod arrived with a damaged rings.

Cheers,

John
Hi John,

I'm not sure whether the blame for the bent rings can be placed with the courier, as the rod came in a unmarked heavy cardboard cylinder, lined with therapy paper (bubble wrap), whereas a poor sense of time certainly can: they finally turned up a day late, this afternoon! To be fair though they did deliver the rod in record time :clap3:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries mate please to help, shame about the damage, but at least you got a good deal.

Interesting that the 12ft version has different guides. Mine is 11,6 and has the lined guides.
Strange that, I didn't even realise they had 2 length options - I suppose they are the same rods?

Just for jollies I tried it out the afternoon, a few flings with squid and frozen sandeel. I used a 6500 Rocket CT, hard to imagine a much better match (maybe a lightweight 5500?). 90 - 100 grammes seemed perfect. What a sweet rod, tippy enough for good bite detection, through enough for friendly lobbing or an otg. Light enough to hold all day, would be at home with a float too - bit long for spinning, but could be managed at a pinch - lovely rod, shame about the lack of fish :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
one of the two abu exodus's I ordered from spotty dog, had the ring on the butt severely mishaped when i took it out of the tube , the rings lining fell in bits out of the bag, they are getting back to me on that, the mag elite arrived intact but the jiffy type bag the box was in was partly torn open.
len

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
SPOTTY DOG ROCKS!
Ther my first port of call when searching for stuff on the net, if they have it
and i wont it ill get it through them!
picked up my abu mag elite for 75 quid from them, ordered it 4pm
on my mat at 10am! same with rod and rig wallet arfter ordering the following night!
the spotty dogs doenuts!!!!!!

p,s the box i got the mag in looked like said spotty dog had
been chewing on it, but cant have every thing right?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Somethings fishy...and i'm not talking about a guide from Brighton....

How can rod rings be bent in transit in a hard cardboard tube....and no damage to said cardboard tube either......sounds like the rings were bent before the rod was
put in the tube...:unsure:

·
Registered
138 Posts
there are marks on the cardboard tube my rods were delivered in, one lines up directly on where the guide would have been, will post photo's of the guide and tube when I get my camera back on sunday,it must have had a fair clout as the tube is substantial, approx 5mm thick and there are a few dints in it, hard to spot unless you look closely. when I spoke to them about the guide I said if it will not affect the warrenty to just send me a replacement guide and I will put it on, but I hadn't seen the dints in the tube then, so then rang them back and told them about the dints and gave them the option if they want to claim for it against their courier. said they would see about getting a replacement rod, i'm not bothered either way, strikes me the rings need changing to something stronger or less brittle anyway.
len

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
there are marks on the cardboard tube my rods were delivered in, one lines up directly on where the guide would have been, will post photo's of the guide and tube when I get my camera back on sunday,it must have had a fair clout as the tube is substantial, approx 5mm thick and there are a few dints in it, hard to spot unless you look closely. when I spoke to them about the guide I said if it will not affect the warrenty to just send me a replacement guide and I will put it on, but I hadn't seen the dints in the tube then, so then rang them back and told them about the dints and gave them the option if they want to claim for it against their courier. said they would see about getting a replacement rod, i'm not bothered either way, strikes me the rings need changing to something stronger or less brittle anyway.
len
Gb neil did a few posts ago.....couriers must be launching them at each other at the depot...

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
After much searching on this illustrious forum of tackle knowledge I decided on my new bass rod, the Abu Premium Bass, a reel:) deal at 50 notes (half price) from Spotty Dog.

Ordered from Richard in the afternoon, nice fella, and blow me down the rod appears by courier next morning - amazing, as I live in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately 3 rings have been squashed slightly on the right side, so that they are now more oval than round. There is no functional damage, the whipping is fine, but I call up and arrange for the rod to be picked up. No more in stock, so no replacement possible!

The courier fails to arrive or call - b*mmer, I've wasted the afternoon!

Spotty Dog rescues the day by refunding me 30 notes though, so the 100 quid Abu Premium Bass has cost me £20!

Here's a photo of 1 of the rings - what do you think?

It make me wonder.
Spotty, Tesco etc dont like making losses on goods so they sell them off at what appear to be silly money.
Now, call me cynical if you will but, silly money to Joe Public is cost price to the likes of Tesco, so why not to Spotty as well.
So Spotty buys the rod for £20, sells it for £50, refunds £30.
End result - Break Even and a still happy customer.

If I am right on this the mark up is fantastic and the published MSP or RRP (if still legal) is is the seconf biggest con after Tony Blaire and the WMD.

What are your thoughts on this.

AND by the way, WELL DONE SPOTTY DOG!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts