• silly

Votes: 5 29.4%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of older and now tatty 7HT's, is it worthwhile spraying them do we think? the thing is a tatty reel will fish just as well (if looked after) as a shiny reel! I just like the idea of making one offs and for the sake of a tenner and 10 mins in halfords its a cheap bit of fun. So I thought would have a go at giving them a fresh look, have a look at the before and after photos and let me know what you think. has anyone else bothered to do it?:)
Fishing reel Auto part Recreation
Fishing Cobalt blue Fishing reel Recreation Electric blue
Fishing reel Auto part
Auto part
Fishing reel Recreation Fishing
Violin String instrument Violin family Bowed string instrument Cello
Fishing reel Room Wood Recreation Flooring
Room Wood Metal
Fishing Fishing reel Recreation Reel Floor

·
Premium Member
17,556 Posts
Looks ok but a complete waste of time if you ask me & im not trying to be derogatory. As you say a tatty reel works just as well so why go to the bother. If it works and you've looked after it then that's it. Save your money & buy a new one. If you don't need a new one then why bother, having said all that it defo looks better but just not for me

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
As long as you realise that it will only last five mins once been near sea unless prepped properly as paint on alloy don't take well plus you have runs on it!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Looks great to me and I might try it myself . I know it won't improve performance but it will make me feel better.

I'm interested about the comment re primer , can anyone advise a more permanent fix?

Cheers

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
I have tarted up scruffy coarse reels before but i think it is pretty much a wasted effort on salt water gear!

On the other hand if you are bored and have spare paint go for it !
You will know your reels are unique !

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
With alloy if you really want to make it smart/permanent strip any steel parts off it then get it anodised same as you see the one piece cages are etc or gold on bits like penn but hopefully you go somewhere that does it better than penn's poor attempt
check net/phone book etc as places around not that expensive as we used to get bits done on MTB's when was racing
Best for spraying is 2 pack as spray can gear is soft. need often etching primer esp if anything plastic

but above all else is spotlessly clean washed in lighter fuel few times as any trace of silicone will give you fish eyes galore(spots in paintwork like been shot at)
for good spray work need somewhere clean non drafty but warm then done in light coats.

used to be a good paint around called gip 60 used to be strong so held well to things rubbing on it etc didn't scratch so much
but local spray shop will give you help some places can make you up spray cans of gear to colour
We have AMP in Leabridge road Leyton E10 plus Forest Cellulose E7 Kathrine road but think gone now?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

... as long as you are happy with how your reel looks like ... that's the most important isn't it? ;)

Gert

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tournamag defo correct, the paint from halfords if soft and although i stripped it back and cleaned it properly, used primer, built up the layers and lacquered it its not great. the issue is that when the reel went back together some areas rubbed off on others, they are not so much runs on the reel but where i used a brush to touch up lol. i think it will get bashed to **** on the beach, is there a diamond hard lacquer out there or something??

G

·
Hammerite! sticks to grease that stuff lol Used it on my old Lambretta and regretted it for yrs. Bring back the 80s !!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Hammerite works do in spray cans too but always use the thinners first many think or too tight to spend on it then regret it as the thinners is the primer as hammerite is a chemical paint the thinners is the catalyst to make it bond.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Looks brilliant mate i wouldnt even bother listening to half the above comments id say some of there gear is as rough as a badgers arse

Id defo be painting it up if id anything rough and that will last a good while if got a few coats looks well mate well done

·
Premium Member
17,556 Posts
Looks brilliant mate i wouldnt even bother listening to half the above comments id say some of there gear is as rough as a badgers arse

Id defo be painting it up if id anything rough and that will last a good while if got a few coats looks well mate well done
The guys put it up for honest comments & that's what people are giving, the facts are if you look after your gear it won't end up like that in the first place also all he's done is made it worse, 3 -4 sessions and the paint will be coming of making it look 10 times worse than it already did. What's wrong is honest comments to much for you to take. Iv got reels that are years old in fact I'll never use them they are that old however they still look brand new & are in cracking condition.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The guys put it up for honest comments & that's what people are giving, the facts are if you look after your gear it won't end up like that in the first place also all he's done is made it worse, 3 -4 sessions and the paint will be coming of making it look 10 times worse than it already did. What's wrong is honest comments to much for you to take. Iv got reels that are years old in fact I'll never use them they are that old however they still look brand new & are in cracking condition.
Haven't you realized you cant put a honest opinion on this forum with out having a argument with some one. God help any body who says some thing is crap . And just for record im in favour of honest opinions.

G

·
that's forums for you , im in favour of honest opinions aswell jackjock , nice colour mjwoo seems ok:cool:

I might paint my reels with artex tonight , im sure they going to look sexy as im a dab hand with a brush , hope im doing it right :D

·
Premium Member
17,556 Posts
Haven't you realized you cant put a honest opinion on this forum with out having a argument with some one. God help any body who says some thing is crap . And just for record im in favour of honest opinions.
It's not an argument it's an opinion. I actually said it looked better but I wouldn't waste my time doing it myself. The only people arguing are the people that don't like opinions that you don't like.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts