World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm home from the big smoke for a few days over Easter. Want to head out beach fishing as I haven't for ages.

Any news on what Runswick Bay can produce in Spring and what baits are advised please?

Also, anyone lure fishing at Runswick early on in the season?

By the sailing club you get into some deep water but open to suggestions of any other good marks and venues.

Cheers!

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's a bit of a dead time of year around here, the best you can expect are a few flatties & small stuff. If there's a sea running it may be possible to get the odd codling especially from the rock marks. If you can you need to fish into darkness to maximise your chance of a few fish. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an odd bass turning up on bait, I think the lads don't bother with lures until a little later in the year.
Don't think there's much to choose between the beaches at this time of year, depending on where your staying and how much travelling your willing to do. If you fancy trying for bass they could turn up anywhere but I would suggest the beach around upgang at Whitby or the beach between Redcar to Marske. Traveling a little further north the beach at Seaton Carew is usually worth a chuck. At Runswick I think I'd try the rock edges at either side of the bay. I prefer to fish the beaches from low water to half way up that's when I've had most success. Whitby or Saltburn piers are where I would favour for high water session especially in daylight. For easy fishing you could try the car park at the bottom of Lythe bank Sandsend a couple of hours either side of high tide (fishing out of your car boot).
Bait wise worm tipped with a slither of mackerel will find fish, crab is useful if you can get hold of it. Frozen black lug tipped with squid or mackerel works if that's all you can get.
Good luck if you give it a go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts