World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on the kayak after months of uncertain variable weather ,most wet and windy that was . With a great window of promising weather we headed to the east coast looking for some spring cod . With our wee kayak fishing club doing great I invited 3 lads for a days paddle on the sea . Once again we made our way to the beach at night and slept in the 4 wheel tin box .Great to be on the water early morning without having to beat the traffic. The weather looked great ,little westerly wind flattening the sea ,small wave the usual stuff and a very bright sunshine .The water looked fantastic , perfectly clear and perfect for soft lure fishing action . We paddled out around the mile mark area fishing 40 ft -50 ft of water .I set the drogue out and this is going to be the best piece of kit on the day .The other lad started to drift at pace out to sea .The first hours we really tested the water for early signs .Still early in March ,not extremely easy fishing .With a little experience using the soft lure and the short light spinning rod ,I focused on fishing inches from the sea bottom .I would cast out and do a proper 30 second count down and then wind the lure back very ,very slowly . Was not long till I connected with the very first 2014 codling ,using 30lb braid I could feel the lure swimming just above the sea bottom .My friends did not have such luck but with smiles on their faces they still enjoy the day on the water . I carried on using the same technique again fishing very slow close to the bottom and the line tighten into another 2-3 lb codling .Job done .I tied on my friends kayak and using my drogue we managed to drift slowly fishing side by side .I really wanted him to hook into a cod but that was not his day .We paddle back to shore ,enjoy the scenic beach one more time , loaded the 13ft plastic back onto the car and drove back home with a head full of happy memories .Still early days in the season ,We have sharpened our techniques and I look forward to more adventures in the months to come .Till then tight lines all ..Nicolas

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
great read and some nice pics,hope you all have better luck on the next trip
tight lines the fox.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ta for the report Nic. That was a good effort and a nice wee codling for the pan to show for it too. Well done mate.

Here's hoping the weather's getting a bit more kind and stable for you kayak guys and you can get out more now in safer conditions and enjoy your fishing even more.

G

·
well done nicolas ,it has been a terrible winter for kayak fishermen.i havent seen the conditions right at all for the spot i mentioned.hopefully summer and next winter will be kinder to you kayak lads.
cheers rab

1 - 10 of 10 Posts