World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Take alot more than tides the water temp is still warm and will take many weeks to drop so im hopeful and remain optumistic that maybe we will have a good yr not saying alot of cod but bigger better size fish being caught .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something has changed. Ive recently returned to fishing after a few years away from it. I remember when we used to wait eagerly for the 1st set of neap tides in september and hit redwick ledges hard and you could bag up with codling along with other speices, right up until xmas. Times have certainly changed.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Take alot more than tides the water temp is still warm and will take many weeks to drop so im hopeful and remain optumistic that maybe we will have a good yr not saying alot of cod but bigger better size fish being caught .
I don't think the water temperature has that much of an affect on it mate. They go where the food is, we were catching 2lb codling down the foreshore in june this year because there were loads of shrimp around. When the water temp drops the shrimp move out and the fish move out with them!

G

·
Fair comment kev i think a certain number never leave .dont know what the problem is they should be running by now .maybe a commercial cod ban is needed for 5yrs

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I can remember reading in one of the magazines a few years ago about the cod fishing going around in cycles back in the haydays of the 70's and 80's. I can vaguely recall it saying something about them having good fishing for 3 seasons the going quite again for a few. The last 3 years in the bristol channel have been good so maybe it's just nature taking it's coarse??
Anyone old enough to remember those days(I'm only a young pup! lol) on here who could clarify that? I'm sure there's a few of the 'older generation' on here, YATOES!! :D

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I can remember reading in one of the magazines a few years ago about the cod fishing going around in cycles back in the haydays of the 70's and 80's. I can vaguely recall it saying something about them having good fishing for 3 seasons the going quite again for a few. The last 3 years in the bristol channel have been good so maybe it's just nature taking it's coarse??
Anyone old enough to remember those days(I'm only a young pup! lol) on here who could clarify that? I'm sure there's a few of the 'older generation' on here, YATOES!! :D
Thanks Kev ---I think lol -------But you are basically right about the cod in the 70s and 80s there did appear to be cycles ----in the first year small codling would arrive in september in plague proportions with a few in the 1 to 2lb type size the following year you would have lots around 2lb with the odd few around 4 to 5lb then came the dream year with fish averaging 4 to 5lb with double figure cod a regular occurence which was then usually followed by a poor year with very few codling arriving til november and you never knew what to expect cos the few codling always seemed very well distrbuted along the coast---then the 5th year usually the small codling would arrive again and the whole cycle would be repeated.
The thing was tho that even a poor year in the 80s was still much better than any year we have had in the last 5 years along the Welsh coast with one important bonus --lots of good size whiting to keep you busy even if the codling were a bit sparse.
Another thing was that the first cod would arrive on the first big spring at the end of august/beginning of september but the best fishing was always during and just after really rough weather on neap tides cos all the mud etc on the ledges was well turned over dragging the cod into the shallows picking up the worm crab and shrimps that were exposed by the rough weather.
A cod of 10lb plus could be picked up even on a poor days fishing cos they are no longer shoal fish -- they are the survivors from past shoals who are preying on their smaller cousins and it was really not a rare occurrence to hook a good cod on the top hook of a pennel that had taken a 1lb whiting or codling that was hooked on the bottom hook of the pennel.
I am starting to sound like my father now reminiscing about bygone years lol. But i gotta say I dont think fishing will ever return to those halcyon days ---modern inshore fishing has decimated fish stocks beyond recovery ---anglers returning home with 5 or 6 sizeable dover sole on a summers evening or 10 to 20 lb of cod from an autumns morning used to be the norm not the exception :schmoll:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It's gonna be a hard year on the cod and it does go around in cycles I'm afraid I've seen it the last 15 years I've been fishing. Water temp has nothing to do with it

Spot on mate it always puts a smile on my face when people say cod turn up in frosty/cold weather--- the codling in the 70s and 80s used to arrive from end of August, the peak month always being November and used to thin out from December until end of March (the cold months) with a spring run in April as water is warming up again!!!
Unfortunately with the massive decline in stocks it is impossible to predict if and when the few remaining cod will turn up but it certainly isnt gonna be detemined by water temperatures

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I was in GE the other day where Clive was telling me of a day when an 11lb cod was caught and returned because nobody wanted it.!!!!!!! Everyone had to many of their own.
It was also mentioned of 15-20 cod/codling in a session down the marl......

I used to fish as a lad off the west pier in the dock and catch 2lb whiting every trip, £1 worth of rag and the most basic gear a 13yr old could have was my weapons.
Turning 17 and girls and p**s gave me a new perspective, stopped fishing,went sh***ng...... waited until the sea was emptied of fish and THEN decide to start again.........????????????
Wish I had kept fishing when the going was good... LOL

G

·
good comment yatoes i understand what your saying but if water temp has nothing to do with it then ,how come when its freezing cold and all the smaller fish and crab , shrimp go into deeper water and so does the fish thats feeding on them ,

just cant understand why its so poor its not like its never picked up like the good old days

·
Registered
277 Posts
Can all this wet weather have an affect?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
good comment yatoes i understand what your saying but if water temp has nothing to do with it then ,how come when its freezing cold and all the smaller fish and crab , shrimp go into deeper water and so does the fish thats feeding on them ,

just cant understand why its so poor its not like its never picked up like the good old days
You answered your own question then good buddy ---the cod are following the food and are not attracted by cold weather or cold water as some new anglers believe.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Can all this wet weather have an affect?
Wet weather certainly doesnt drive the cod out ----you usually find that sustained wet weather triggers the best cod fishing with the soft mud etc being washed away exposing the food, this is unfortunately difficult for new anglers to fully experience with modern day poor fish stocks. In fact the cod travel well up the rivers and up the Severn into waters that are far less saline than the sea so they can obviously tolerate these conditions for a time!!!
However scientists have noticed that even though the Bristol Channel is very turbulent there is very little mixing so when there is a big snow or ice melt the colder fresh water slides over the top of the warmer saline water which means the deep middle sections of the channel are unaffected but the shallow waters around the shores are "fresh" water and only just above freezing which usually means very poor fishing unless you can find a deep water venue.

894 Posts
As another "elder member!" with over 35 years of fishing from Goldcliff to Beachly, I agree with everything Yatoes has said......especialy the "we wont see the good days back again" bit unfortunately.
I lived at Caldicot Pill for many years and fished there so often I knew it like the back of my hand. You only ever got 2 hours of decent water there as its so shallow, but still managed 6 cod in a session on a November night!
Magor and Redwick was THE place to be though.....anglers from all over the UK would have tilly lamps hissing all night and do 48 hour sessions there, kipping in cars in the day when the tide was out. Excellent lug beds too at Magor....all but gone now...and king rag like snakes at Goldcliff. Caldicot and Blackrock had rag as well, but you had to know where to fnd them.
I have an old picture somewhere of me and a catch from Magor or Redwick, in a tee-shirt, in September in the 80's sometime, with a bag of a Bass, Flounder,Conger and a few Cod........my mate had a thorny then too!
They were indeed, halcyon days :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Would be good to have a thread of all old pics, to show us beginners what we are missing:-(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts