World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I understand the idea of spring and neap tides on a 2 dimensional idea, what happens in the real world?

If you get spring tides per month when the moon lines up with the earth and sun based on a flat orbit, are there occasions when the earth moon and sun truly line up and produce huge tides (super spring tides if you will)? Or does the orbits stay the same in such a way that they never actually line up and we just get regular bi-monthly springs?

Edit-- also thinking about it the earth spins on an elliptical orbit, so presumably is closer to the sun at certain points - this must affect it also??

</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i have nown there 2 b biga tides because at silloth (skinburness) there is a marsh nd 1nce a year it floods because of a super spring tide&#33;</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>There is a time when the effect of both the moon and the suns gravity have a peak effect on the height of a high and low tide. Im not 100% sure but I believe it happens every 10 to 14 years. Hope this helps you. If not why dont you try searching for the info you need on the University of Plymouths webiste as they do a lot of ocean studies.</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>a lot of it is ditermined by the weather also.

low pressure makes the tide come up higher
high pressure keeps it lower

macky
</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Well, a bit more research and I found that you do get super spring tides, they are called proxigean tides and occur every 1.5 years, the next one on 10th Jan &#39;05, being a new moon this is worse than a full moon. Every 31 years there is an "Extreme Proxigean Tide" where the moon is at it&#39;s theoretical closest - the last one in 1995 so it&#39;ll be a while yet&#33; I also found it on POL, they reckon 1/Sep/2004 for the (next) highest which i&#39;m more inclined to believe as the others refer to a prediction made a while ago.

I couldn&#39;t find it on Plymouth&#39;s site fishing_fanatic, I found the info on a collection of odd looking sites, so I couldn&#39;t be sure of the authenticity - i&#39;m going with POLs 1/Sep/2004 for now

As Macky1 says, high and low pressure do alter the tide height, that&#39;s what caused this

so there you go, 2 spring tides a month, a big one every 1.5 years and a massive one every 31 years&#33;</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts