World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if springs and neap tides make much difference to the fishing in the Bristol channal {Porthcawl} compared to places where the tide difference is very little?:notworthy

·
Registered
347 Posts
hello mate the bristol channel has the second highest tidal range in the world so even a small neap tide pushes at a rate of knots as for the diffrent tides a spring tide is when the gravity pull of the earth and moon are at its strongest and a neap tide is when it is at its lowest in a luner cycle you have 2 springs and 2 neaps a month as for fishing marks some will fish better on a spring tides and some will fish better on neaps as for porthcawl a spring tide could be better than a neap tide but you get hell of a rip when it ebbs here on a spring tide also depends on weather temp ect where i live some marks you can only fish on neaps and others you can fish on springs only tight lines

fish till you die:fishing1: :fishing1: :fishing1: :fishing1:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks richie that tells me all I need to know,I guess there is no need for me to postpone my fishing trip by 1 week just to be fishing a spring tide.:clap2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is the gravitational forces of the SUN and moon, not the earth and moon, which generate neap and spring tides.
Basically, when both forces are pulling in a similar direction it creates the spring tide, when both forces are pulling in opposite directions it creates the neap tide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts