World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

just for the record and you will probably find out soon enough why I'm posting this.

Spurdog are NOT any better than any other bait fish for skate fishing. Given that they are so long lived and the stocks are in such a bad way we should all be doing our bit to try and help them, not kill them for bait because someone on here said they were good bait for skate. :hammer: :hammer:

G

·
Please follow Davys advice and DO NOT use Spurdog as bait​

Davy is correct in what he is saying about the Spurdog, if you take time out to read about it, it may suprise you. I myself didnt realise the for instance females do not reproduce until their teen years (or later) and give birth to only about six pups after pregnancies that last nearly two years, a record among animals.

Do people not realise that the Spurdog along with others are rated as being endangered..........if they do they why kill then,dont they deserve the right to carry on exsitence, the way it is going we will be lucky ever to see one in years to come.

Preserve the life of the Spurdog, Do not take it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pauline,
Is that you in the photo??

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Please follow Davys advice and DO NOT use Spurdog as bait​

Davy is correct in what he is saying about the Spurdog, if you take time out to read about it, it may suprise you. I myself didnt realise the for instance females do not reproduce until their teen years (or later) and give birth to only about six pups after pregnancies that last nearly two years, a record among animals.

Do people not realise that the Spurdog along with others are rated as being endangered..........if they do they why kill then,dont they deserve the right to carry on exsitence, the way it is going we will be lucky ever to see one in years to come.

Preserve the life of the Spurdog, Do not take it.

Remember to tell them that at etive when there keelhauling them out of the depths, then trying all sorts to get a 5p hook back.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
Remember to tell them that at etive when there keelhauling them out of the depths, then trying all sorts to get a 5p hook back.
it sickens me when folks rip a fish inside out to retrieve a 2 bob hook.

G

·
Do you think I wont tell them if I see them ripping hooks from them mmmmm you dont know me ;o) ....... also does it not hurt a fish when a fisherman stands posing with it still on the line dangling?

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Do you think I wont tell them if I see them ripping hooks from them mmmmm you dont know me ;o) ....... also does it not hurt a fish when a fisherman stands posing with it still on the line dangling?
Pauline the only way to save a spur is not to catch one, how many of your spurs have died on capture.

G

·
I will answer you truthfully none, I have never caught a spurdog and if I did and it died as I brought it in, I can honestly say I would never fish them again...........

I have recently came on to the sea fishing scene, I did trout fishing for years and through my time on here my principles have changes. Maybe its because I am getting older or it is just the fact that I have taken time out to read all the posts, I now believe that there are fish out there who deserve to live.

I can tell you the spurdog interests and fascinates me and if I can I want to be able to preserve its life, I would love to be like Mcool and others and catch and tag them so as they are recorded and can be kept track off. I want to do my bit in saying I helped to keep the alive in years to come. Christ just imagine they will be hopefully of this earth long long after Im gone

ooooppppppss sorry if I went on there but once I get typing I cant stop :love::love:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Pauline the only way to save a spur is not to catch one, how many of your spurs have died on capture.
hey kenny , i have been fishng for spurs for years and they all go back fine , you just need to know how to handle them properly, i also see that recently there have been some tagged spurs recaptured and released again , surely this proves that if handled and released correctly the survival rate is very good.

when we are at etive next weekend , i will help anyone who is unsure about handling , tagging and releasing.

al

·
Registered
96 Posts
Education is the best way to deal with this issue guys,

i dont know enough about this subject, but i think it would be very benificial to the communuty if someone were to post a "how to" on properly handeling spurries, handeling, barbless, whatever helps, as well as some facts on their life span and reproduction, it might make some people think twice before targeting them.

Tommy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Education is the best way to deal with this issue guys,

i dont know enough about this subject, but i think it would be very benificial to the communuty if someone were to post a "how to" on properly handeling spurries, handeling, barbless, whatever helps, as well as some facts on their life span and reproduction, it might make some people think twice before targeting them.

Tommy
Good point Tommy,I don't even want to target spurries,but in the off chance that I did hook one,I would rather know how to safely get it back in the water than damage it!!
Plenty of other species out there for catching.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
spurs handled correctly will not die, they will die if they are brought back to shore to claim a specimen award , they will die if brought back on shore in a fish box , because someone said they were good skate "bait " and as for the clowns from merseyside at LOCH ALINE last week , who landed a box of spur to freeze for bait which included TWO!!! tagged spurs one of which was in excess of 12lb tell me kenny did these die after being handled when tagging ????

·
Registered
96 Posts
spurs handled correctly will not die, they will die if they are brought back to shore to claim a specimen award , they will die if brought back on shore in a fish box , because someone said they were good skate "bait " and as for the clowns from merseyside at LOCH ALINE last week , who landed a box of spur to freeze for bait which included TWO!!! tagged spurs one of which was in excess of 12lb tell me kenny did these die after being handled when tagging ????

that is out of order,

are they wsf people that did this ?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Unbelievable...............:hammer:

Research anglers are helping to carry out for the benefit of the species........only for anglers to kill what we are supposed to be trying to protect.....well done lads :boxing:

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
the sad thing is nothing will stop ppl taking spurs for bait etc as some ppl just dont give a dam about saving them as guys post shows,its a sad fact

G

·
Couldnt agree with you more Colin, some people dont give a damn. What happened is unbelievable and and using the word clowns isnt anywhere near how I would describe them or the act they did.

People do not realise all the time and effort people take to tag fish, so as they can be recorded and hopefully be monitored for years to come. Without those people doing this we would never know the extent of the fish population,there movements, habitat etc.

The sad thing about it is these people will probably never change and will continue there barbaric killing of spurdogs

1 - 20 of 99 Posts