World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just read that the uk government fishery dep. have decided that spurdog in uk waters as of 2023 are no longer protected and can be caught by commercial fishing.Only fish under 100cmcan be landed anything over that size "MUST be discarded......theres that word again thats cost so many fish to have been senselessly wasted for in uk wters for years now.As this ruling will cover the west coast of Scotland and the north west atlantic I wonder what the situation for the species that have recovered well and are resident in our sea lochs will be,lets hope that they are protected in some way and they dont end up being decimated as has happened in the past.jim

· Registered
16 Posts
Suppose the logic is the larger fish are better breeding stock? Late in September I became bored catching them as they hit the bait before you had time to get the rod in the rest. All but one was over 8lb. Even caught two on tinsel feathers. Only ever tried to eat one before - when I found out the larger ones can be 50-75 years old it put me off.

· Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just located some more info regarding this,apparently its only foreign vessels that will be allowed to fish for the spurs in uk waters and to land them in british ports.UK fishermen have not been given permission by the UK goverment to fish for them in UK waters,so much for taking control of our own waters after brexit.

· Registered
2,072 Posts
Key thing when eating any Rays or other members of the shark family, their skin is water tight and they don't get rid of liquid waste very easily.............so basically their flesh is swimming in pi$$, remember to soak it in clean water for several hours before cooking it..............................(there doesn't seem to be a vomit emoji lol)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts