World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of us went up to Etive yesterday, we arrived at about 5.00 using two rods each, I brought my spinning outfit and a couple of plugs. We were using Mackies, Launce and Bobo brought some raggies and fresh peeler. I was first to set up and had just cast my first bait in and was tightening up my line when I had a good bite, I lifted my rod and struck into the first fish of the day, a Spurrie of just under 7lb. good start!
Bobo was using ragworm and peeler and he was soon getting bites and landed his first of about 6 small Codling, they were no bigger than 1 1/2 lb and were all returned. I was getting Thornie bites and when I lifted my rod I felt weight and landed a Thornie of just under 4lb.
It all went quiet and we had no more action, maybe darkness would help. The tide was on the flow and the sun had gone down when Bobo had a good bite, he lifted and landed a Spurrie of 7lb 4oz. It was a bright evening and flat calm so I decided to set up my spinning gear,
I was on about my 4th cast when "BANG" a Spurrie had taken my plug and was on the run! It's great to catch them this way as they give a good account of themselves on spinning gear. I landed what turned out to be the biggest of the session at just under 8lb.
Bobo was next with another Spurrie of 6 1/2lb.
I stuck to using the plug and landed another one of 6lb. and two at 6 1/2lb. No doubles this time! It makes a change using this method as it brings more "sport" into catching these wonderful creatures which were all returned safely!
We packed up about 1.00 and headed home, tired but happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
that sounds absolutely amazing! im up here for 3 weeks at our house, so will defo be trying some differnet styles, i was spinning at a few different locations yesterday and had very little joy, maybe it just wasnt my day! well done for your session. Dan

·
Premium Member
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a few pm's asking about catching Spurries using lures.
The conditions need to be right, flat calm and idealy a small low tide, darkness but clear. DON'T use a headlight as it'll spook them, and the type of lure. Use a shallow plug that looks like a small whiting.
I use quite a stiff spinning rod and 20lb braid. Most of all you'll need a lot of!!

LUCK!!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
hi john, think tommy, trevor and myself were right opposite you on the north side, if it was you, thats were we were going to try but went to the usual bit instead..

we only managed 7 thornies to 5.7lb, a doggie and 3 gurnards :sad2:
very poor considering the conditions ! the mark we were fishing usually throws up about 20 odd fish each in those conditions

well done :clap: .. need to try that plugging malarky

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
thats fantasticmate,you are getting great results there .first person ive heard of using lures from the shore successfully for them,well done for sussing that out !
maybe thats why many lads fishing bait are finding it hard on the calm nights ,if the fish are feeding high in the water ?
cheers rab

1 - 12 of 12 Posts