World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thinking of trying squid bait for the first time this weekend. Does this bait stay on the hook well and what is the Best way to attach it. I will be casting from the beach. any info/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brooster :g:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi all,

Thinking of trying squid bait for the first time this weekend. Does this bait stay on the hook well and what is the Best way to attach it. I will be casting from the beach. any info/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brooster :g:
i use squid to tip my worm baits and its pretty tough thread the hook through it and maybe clip it down for distance. Never tried it just on its own always with some mackie or lug. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like using squid for bait,as the guy above says it is a good bait for mixing
with worms,mackies etc.
I got a decent cod yesterday off greenock waterfront using squid/mackie on float but can never hit anything using squid on its own.
It is very good at staying on the hook,just wrap it through the hook a few times and that should do the trick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i like to cut the body crosswise and stuff the pocket with mackerel. the squid holds together longer and the crabs cant get to the mackerel inside.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
I use it in the winter to try for cod and ling - I usually cut off the head, slit down the middle and remove the guts and cartilage then make a sausage with lug, mackie or mussels inside on a pulley pennel rig held together with bait elastic.
I then sometimes make slits in the sausage to allow the scent/juices to leak out.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Soak Squid in squid oil (predator bait) for added attraction, I also find bluey fits inside californian squid after heed is pulled off and guts ripped oot very snugly withoot too much messin aroond, falkland squid is more expensive and a lot smaller but has its moments but indian squid which is very large I find pretty useless, so all in all californian calimari soaked in squid oil and packed with 2 inches of bluey is in my humble opinion a reasonable bait, hope this is of help tight lines oh aye mounted in tail half on a size 4/0, i prefer not too use binding cotton and keep the heeds as on a pennel rig stick one heed on each hook and lug in between so its looks like a wee barbell, looks daft but the codling seem to like it cheers the noo tight lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts