World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prefered bait for general fishing is lugworm and ragworm. I seem to do well catching many types of fish with these. I have been given a whole load of frozen squid for free and would like to put it to good use. However, the only fish I have been able to catch using squid is Bream. I have used it in diferent areas at different states of the tide and I have yet to see any other species from it.

My question is, what is squid good for and how is it best used? Any flatties take it? (I currently fish it either in strips or whole wrapped in bait elastic.)

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
In yr neck of the woods, should be good whole for hounds :thumbs:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Tip your rags and luggys with a very thin 4mm sliver around 50mm long by hooking once.

I was recently introduced to this and it works a treat.

Now I tip all baits with squid.:yahoo:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Another use....tip small hook worm baits (maddies etc) with just the tentacles, look like a bit like small white rag...can be deadly :thumbs:

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you are having trouble with crabs, a popular method round here is to pinch the head off a squid, then pass the hook through the tail end and out of the body cavity. Bait the hook with worm, then pull the worm back inside the squid. Fished on a pennel with fairly large hooks and the whole parcel tied neatly with elastic, it works well for larger species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts