World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading everywhere that the best place to get squid is in Asda , Tescos etc.
Can anyone tell me if any stores in North Cornwall actually sell it?
Or any Chinese suppliers by the sound of it.
Happy to travel to Truro ,Plymouth ,Camborn etc if I need to.
Paying £9 for 5lb at moment.

·
Registered
377 Posts
From what I have seen of the squid in Tescos etc it is the same as supplied in tackle shops just defrosted, gutted and washed and therefore an inferior bait. I always buy the 1lb boxes a case at a time from by local tackle shop and just take one every time I fish. Therefore you get good bait in good condition. It is cheaper in the 5lb boxes but you have to p1ss about defrosting it to split it and then refreeze and i am not sure the quality is then the same.
Plus you can get the 1lb boxes for less then £3 each (you may even get a deal if you bulk buy) and for that sort of money I can not be bothered to mess about defrosting and bagging.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
£1-80 a pound box from our local pet shop. I always take some - but I can't actually say that I've had much success with Squid.
I've NEVER caught ANYTHING on Squid alone. :uhuh:
Only ever caught with it when used in a cocktail.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tesco in pool has 1/2 kilo bags for £3.50, which isn't that good a price compared to the tackle shops. the only thing i've ever caught on it are doggies.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Lots of fishmongers stock the 1lb frozen boxes, usually under £2.00.

[One for the locals ... In Barnstaple, it seems to cost around 80p a box to have them carried from Butcher's Row shops across town to The Strand shops, if you get my drift]

These little squid must be close to the most versatile and easily stored/handled bait going. Estuaries aside, if I could have only one bait for a month I'd be tempted by squid.
I'm amazed you've had such little luck with it, Mart. God, you must be crap.
:whistling​

(That's Slippy-Mart, btw.)
(Hey ... "Slippymart" - some kind of outa town superstore for eels? )​

·
Registered
6,649 Posts

[One for the locals ... In Barnstaple, it seems to cost around 80p a box to have them carried from Butcher's Row shops across town to The Strand shops, if you get my drift]

These little squid must be close to the most versatile and easily stored/handled bait going. Estuaries aside, if I could have only one bait for a month I'd be tempted by squid.
It's me middle name , mate. At least that's what the missus says. :schmoll:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

(That's Slippy-Mart, btw.)
(Hey ... "Slippymart" - some kind of outa town superstore for eels? )​
agreed mate squid is my preffered bait it dosent attract the dogs as much as macky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts