World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
there are a few options i used to walk all down the beaches going out of unawatuna down the coast using surf gear dexters etc u pick up the occasional fish like a type of scad but its overfished i lost a good gt in the reef the one day sneaky buggers and they love snags.... there is a guy with a boat who does trips out at end of unawatuna beach his house has a little tackle shop in the window although he doesnt sell tackle opposite end to the temple on main road he goes out about 4-5 in the morning around £100 touch for 4 hours bear in mind they will gaff everything to eat or sell he knows what hes doing tho unlike most of the beach guys with ramshackle leftover tsunami pangas who spot u with fishing rod and are all of sudden top fishing guides most are clueless and have no idea ...u can night fish on the beach or further down the coast estuary near welligama u can pick up rays catfish of some form ..just jump on coastal bus going to matara and jump off when u see good spot u can see the fish in the morning at the market on the road to galle ...unawatuna quite laid back place to hang out tho i was there 30 years ago its changed unbelievably since then and after the tsunami wrote most of it off

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for your advise i never been there before mi keep looking on the internet but not much success
regards mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just saw this, when are you going out there? Sri Lanka as a whole is very relaxed, you can pretty much go fishing anywhere you like and bound to get inquisitive enquiries from the shore and water.

Its not heavily fished out, so you do not need to work hard to find some decent fishing. Buy some bait fish from the fisherman find a rocky outcrop, and you are off.

I was there about 4 years ago, and could not believe the sealife within wading distance. The area has a natural port - an assumption is that depth is close to shore with all its promises.

Look forward to any reports; I am back there in April. Then Northbound through Puttalam, Mannar, Jaffna and a couple of tanks to try and catch a Wallago Attu and a big a Snakehead as poss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts