World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been causing a little debate!? hee hee....

do yee bother using them? i know some good anglers that wont touch them and others that luv'em!!

if you grab the top swivel and the lead on a 3 hook clip down thats ready to be cast and give it a good stretch u will see the the top hook often falls loose once the rig goes slack again. this is why i use them.

any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I agree with those on the other thread in the yes camp. I too have managed to stretch snoods and find that springs stop this. Yes, you can retie snoods, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered. You could always tie knots in your snood, but quite frankly I'd really rather not a knotted up snood. Springs are an easy way of solving the problem.

They do help keep three hook rigs all clipped up when casting and I can't see any disadvantages of using them. Had the very odd one not release, but only when casting very short and definately fewer than I would normally get. Main reason for using them though is to avoid stretched snoods.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have used them since seeing the benefits when lent some rigs by Mr Yates in the Gambia. I have prviose;y bought rigs from a well known tackle shop for this trip and they were soon of little use when clipping down. The ones I used provided by Mr Yates lasted the duration of my trip and indeed I still have one of them some 2 years later

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i used to use em , but lifes too short , just tie your rigs propper and you dont need em,
its like peeling grapes , it may be nice , but why bother
cuberd

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried them and found they worked great and so have used them on all my clipped down rigs, especially with 3 hook rigs. I use a crimp to keep them in place but wonder if I could use the tubing stop, (the one where you loop it through a plastic tube) which I use for bait stops. Would it be strong enough. If it is suitable it would make it easier to adjust them when you get stretch.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I quite likethem for the rare times that I fish at long range,but have found that certain types of sand clog the spring and make it a pain to use. Has no one had this problem?
Most of my fishing is done with the simplest of rigs and components though

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yep I use them and love them :kissing:

Use the springs and the spring with clips for up and over rigs

10/10 for release every time :clap2:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you mean silicon sliders then yes it does work. I use these on all my rigs and although it looks bulky, it makes a rig that is a lot easier too play around with. if you use these it also makes it easier to adjust on cold nights when your fingers are cold, and also if you opt for a different wieght you can quickly adjust the tesion on the spring accordingly, using a heavier/lighter wieght will affect your spring.

use them for flappers also, again it makes it easier to alter the snoods possition

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
great for long distance casting into deep water,,no good, does not always release in shallow water at short range andy

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They serve a purpose, definately helping keep rigs in place when being cast. I dont think they stop snood stretch though, more just allowing for minor adjustment to combat the effects of it.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
i could never get away with them. to allow for snood stretch on my distance rigs i use impact sheilds. leave space at the bottom of the rig when building it. when hooks are in position just pull the impact sheild down tight to take up any slack.

i found that the spring held the hooklength tight into the clip and the initial drop back as a rig hits the water allowing the hook to fall free was held back by the spring causing too many rigs to stay clipped up. the impact sheild releases every time.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Dabcatcher,

Leave 'em in the bin m8, you don't need them.

What is a 'silicon slider' when it's all at home? Sounds like the sort of thing we find floating down the Humber and call 'French Letters'?

Prof (5 Star) Tench - National P**s Taking Champ 2007

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hmmm... just trying to get my head around why these are used... are we talking permanent (plastic) deformation of the snood line on casting, causing the hook to unclip as the load reduces in flight?

If so, two solutions:
1. Pre-stretch the line by hand when you make the rig.
2. Do not crimp hard down, so you can (just about) move the crimps to adjust as necessary (or use power gum stop knots).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i use them myself lads. on the rig body with just the bare minimum of pressure on em- just enough to keep all snoods clipped. if u hold a rig thats clipped in by the lead and top rig swivel and giv it a good stretch (similating the stretch the rig body is under during a power cast) u will often see that the top snood unclips?

i use silicon stoppers or stop knots on rig bodies for adjustment but still reckon the springs have there place. a few good anglers i know think they are rubbish.

my only gripe is more hardware on the trace. similarly with genie snood clips, handy but i sometimes fear it may create niose underwater that could put fish off. i am sure at times thow it can attract fish. it has been mentioned b4 that metal booms can attract fish? possible. some reckon they can even help keep crabs away...in sayin that there are a lot of crabbing handlines made up with booms!! who knows hah!?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts