World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i say anything about the trip i would like to say a big thank you to old salt (Bill) and his mate Willie for taking me out and showing me that there is fish in the water.I was begining to have my doubts after past few sessions.
It was an early start left St Andrews harbour around 05:00 and headed along the coast of Fife they knew where they were going and where the fish should be and they were right.We first went in the hunt of mackies and found them no problem my only three casts for them brought up 10 Bill and Willie were right into them too,soon had plenty.Then it was in hunt of cod i started slowly most of my cod coming on lugworm,i also had squid and sandeel baits,Bill and Willie were outfishing me Bill with his lures and Willie with his feathers topped with lug.The two of them then started hitting pollock it wasn't till near thwe end of session that i was getting any(Bill let me borrow his rod with his lure that i can't remember what it was but it certainly caught the pollock).I managed 3 of these.I was first to haul up a nice looking wrasse only the one Willie seemed to be the guy for catching wrasse he had a few.There were a few coalfish caught too.I managed to get my very first ling never caught one of these before it was my only one not sure if any others were caught but made my day.I also caught a decent size short spined ss,.totall catch for all 3 of us not sure but cod 30+ quite a lot went back mackies 20+ pollock that was easy double figures the way Bill was pulling them out.A few coalfish,wrasse about 5 i think,1 ling1 ssss.
We did have a problem part of the way through the trip as a creel line that none of us had spotted wrapped itself around prop.The marker was cut free and got the other end cut.On driving of there was a knocking sound under the boat at prop so there was still something attached.Another boat came along to help but he couldn't see anything.We headed of again and heard knocking sound again.Bill decided to get in the water it wasn't exactly warm either and try and cut it free but couldn't manage,we then headed for the beach.We got through creels and rocks to get into shallow water about 4ft where Bill managed to get the piece of rope of 2ft of rope and a knot in the end caused all the problems.Once this was sorted we were back to fishing again.

Loading up with mackies.

My cod 2 at a time.

My only wrasse ballan or goldsinny not sure wieghed in at 11/2 lb.

Lovely colouring of my ssss.

My very first ling.

My pollock 1 of 3.

One of my few cod.

Box of cod filling up.
My total catch for the day.cod 12,mackerel 10,wrasse 1,coalfish 2,ling 1,ssss 1,pollack 3.....4 new species for the year..Now where are those plaice hiding.Once again ty guys.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
nice day out with bill,hope there's still a few left for tomorrow!
wish i had a pound for every rope i've caught in that bay,there's quite a few poorly marked pots with floating rope around,just impossible to miss them at times,at least i can raise the engine to free them.if i couldn't i'd consider fitting a rope cutter.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well done mike, good reportage some nice pic's, hope that's restored ur faith that there are fish out there. Well done on the new species as well.cheers.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well done m8, the ssss is a good size for once lol, nice wrasse too.... makes a change to have something to report on eh ? lol

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ty all i was surprised at the variety should be able to get them from the shore.I seen some good looking spots along the coastline there but i think the problem would be getting to them a really long walk or make friends with the local farmers.Then there are the golf courses.Will have to have a shot from Kingsbarns one day like the look of that place.
I wish i could have got pics of Bill and Willie brining in some of their fish.
Silverking ..we left plenty fish out there for you don't worry lol.The coast along there seems to be full of creels wherever you go you certainly have to be alert.
What i want to know is why do they close the toilets for cleaning at the harbour when the place is very busy with visitors middle of the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
hi mate,was out yesterday and soon caught around a dozen cod then fished for the pollack caught a few to 4lb on float fished launce and prawn baited shrimp rig set 10ft off the bottom chucking back quite a few cod on this rig in the process.out again with gooseman and amanda today,fishing was slower especially later on with wind against tide,goose and amanda both had some fish before i caught after changing tactics putting on a black/pink gummi lure on a long trace soon caught a few on this along with a nice ling that goose eventually managed to drop back into water after wrestling with it for a couple minutes,evil envious bar steward lol! only 1 pollack on boat today tho but conditions didn't suit.
re the toilets there's also a toilet other side of harbour next to the park but they all shut around 5pm! last night at 7pm the harbour was still very busy and the cafe still open but no toilets.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toilets=the council don't have a clue..
Well done on your catches concerning ling when i caught mine i wasn't exactly sure what it was thought some kind of blennie or something never come across them before....I take it goose was born with butter fingers :roll1:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
watching goose trying to grab hold of that ling(or accidentally knock it off the hook lol)was like watching a heat sensitive guy juggle hot coals!
jason-are you referring to my iphone swimming with the fishes in 8ft of water for 20mins before we got it out the harbour! totally amazed when we got it out to see i had a missed call! it's off now and in the airing cupboard for a while fingers crossed.is there an app for this anyone?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.