World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im heading up to St Andrews next weekend with the wife & kids.
the kids would like to spend a 1/2 day fishing & i was wondering where the best pier was in the area.

Likely to be float fishing ragworm.

Was thinking of Elie, St Monans, Anstruther or St Andrews, but wont have much time so can only try one.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Well you shouldn't find the choice of pier to be too difficult really as there's only the one.It's a decent enough summer spot but might not be hugely "fishy" at the minute.From the point of the pier the ground is sand/weed/rocks mixed straight out,rocky and weeds to the north,(left when you look straight out from the point),and sand/mud to your right.Given that the Kiness burn runs out to the sea along the pier,your best bet of a fish of some kind might be just dropping a flattie rig into the channel.There might well be a few coalies about,but the red cod might be conspicous by their absence just yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't add much to what Codhead Bob's said, but I can pretty much gaurantee that you won't catch a cod at St Andrews. If you want to catch cod try one of the other piers you mentioned, so long as there's deep water and kelp you'll stand a chance, plus you'll have a better chance of catching an early wrasse than you would at St Andrews if the wrasse have returned yet.
If you do stick with St Andrews, you can still use the float rig with rag to target the flounder in the stream running along the inside of the pier, simply set it overdepth so that your bait and lead drag along the bottom. Good luck:) .

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you'll find the pier a bit on the slow side - but have you thought about a spot of flattie bashing from the beaches? Kingsbarns can be OK (especially on a flood tide around dusk), and Tentsmuir might be worth a shot too. Elliott Beach at Arbroath is probably the most popular "local" spot, but it's maybe a bit far for a half day session with kids. Basically you're talking 95% flounder, with a small chance of a turbot or bass, and with very short casting required (10-20 yards).

You could try the beach at St Andrews itself as well, as it must have some flatties on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts