World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
went out after work yesterday afternoon for a 3hr sesh with matt and his 8yr old son daniel ,touch and go whether to go out after speaking to local who came in early cos drift was too fast at 2 knts and white horses everywhere ,but itching to get out so headed the 6mls south at a steady 15knts to fish 1ml off kingsbarns.a fresh 15mph wind gusting 30 made it a bit rock n roll at times but young daniel coped with it well,drifting at 1.5knts and holding bottom with 6oz ball weights ok. set matt and daniel up with orange jigheads/firetail worms on a running leger and they were both straight into fish(daniel lost what looked likely to be the biggest fish of the sesh to a creel rope 1/2 way up,matt and myself were ready with the cameras,****er!) whilst i was losing a few weighted shads on a running ledger(could swear they were getting snagged before they even reached the bottom lol!),so with the laughter still ringing in my ears also swapped to similar rig but with a flasher blade/beads above and soon caught a few codling and a pollack of around 4lbs(best fish so far) but too rough to weigh.as we had 6mls back to harbour into the sea decided to call it a day, but have 1 short drift tight as poss into babbet ness point on way back, target was a bigger pollack but i caught the best fish of sesh, a 6lb cod which put up great fight in the shallow water here,taking line,sure it was a pollack at first! set off for harbour into the sea/wind at 10knts waves continually breaking over top of boat when wiper my side failed! with matt acting as lookout for the small/difficult to see creel markers got safely back in with no probs.returned to harbour this afternoon to repair this wiper(after phoning office at 7.30 a.m enquiring why i had no calls to attend to be informed it was a stat.holiday! bloody english firms!!!
anyway whilst working on boat in inner harbour at around 4pm heard a siren, turned round to see a coastguard 4x4 racing toward pier, downed tools and headed over to find a dramatic scene unfold, apparently a few asian students decided to tombsone off the end of the pier into a stiff head wind and ebb tide!( i declined to take the boat out in this today!) 1st guy (mid 20's) was immediately dragged round the corner with the ebb current/wind and was struggling,alarm raised to coastguard who relayed to beach lifeguard who was 1st on scene(ran at least 1/2ml and jumped straight in!)he was struggling to cope till coastguard arrived with ropes to get them out,1st guy needed resus and he was almost gone(coastguard i spoke to said 2 mins more in water max,he was drowning,when he was wheeled by me on trolley stretcher he 1/2 opened his eyes but only whites showing,very poorly! his mate who i'd heard was still being treated for shock at end of pier was wheeled by 1/4hr later unconscious!, maybe sedation? not sure, hope they both make it,these kids think they're indestructible but they looked anything but today! spoke with the hero of the moment,the lifeguard,it was his 1st ever rescue ,hats off to him,he done great and saved at least 1 life today for sure, hope the councils/harbour masters ban this practice pronto cos i seen a lot of tourists/locals in tears today.

Attachments

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
Nice fish you`s caught there great report hope the silly lads are all ok

Paul

·
Registered
467 Posts
some nice fish! me and a friend were round by the harbour in the kayaks on sunday and the drift speed was insane with the westerly wind and out going tide certainly would not fancy jumping off the pier! silly boys :nono: bet they wont try that again in a hurry

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some nice fish! me and a friend were round by the harbour in the kayaks on sunday and the drift speed was insane with the westerly wind and out going tide certainly would not fancy jumping off the pier! silly boys :nono: bet they wont try that again in a hurry
tried to find a report from coastguard or press to see if the guys are ok but can't find anything!
i'll be anchored up 1ml off kingsbarns next sat/sun,if it's calm enough paddle out i'll show you the pollack/cod marks. :thumbs:

·
Registered
467 Posts
tried to find a report from coastguard or press to see if the guys are ok but can't find anything!
i'll be anchored up 1ml off kingsbarns next sat/sun,if it's calm enough paddle out i'll show you the pollack/cod marks. :thumbs:
will do hopefully manage out next weekend! out tomorrow night to try for some wrasse and maybe head out for some cod if its nice enough tides not great for us paddle powered boys :showoff:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Good catch!!
Those creel markers...the set of two milk cans just before you hit the harbour? they are hellish to spot! dad let me sail in the other day, i lost sight of them and was praying not to hit the ropes haha.
Those students sound mad, hope they're ok

·
Registered
178 Posts
nice wee catch
hope the silly sods are ok tho where would we be without the RNLI

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, Do you tip your firetail worms with any bait??
hi mike,never use bait with these lures,on sunday cos it was a fast drift i used a 12ft flowing trace,lowered it to bottom then wound up 20 turns and keep repeating till fish jump on! This weekend i'll be fishing for 2-3lb cod for bait and mackies for the rubby dubby!!! You guys going out?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused:i am just a little bit confused,2-3 lb cod for bait and mackerel for rubby duuby,enlighten me please.
hi mate,well my intention for this coming weekend(if the forecast stays good) is to go out after work friday evening and return to harbour sunday evening,catch loads of mackies for rubby dubby(mix em up with horse bran and used cooking oil,would prefer fish oil but i've cooked a few fish in it lol! put this mish mash into a big net laundry bag,dangle it over side a few feet down) then with rubby dubby sorted head down to kingsbarns cod ground,stick on a 6 hook shrimp rig and bag a few cod 2-3lbish and maybe decent sized coalies for bait. now head out to deeper water just clear of the cod ground so my rubby dubby will hopefully put out a longer scent trail,drop anchor,set up two heavy rods with porgie shark traces baited with the cod etc say 1st rod 30yds from stern 20ft depth 2nd rod 60yds back 40ft depth never fished for porgies before so any advice re rubby dubby,tactics etc welcome from anyone!,in meantime i will also fish with lighter rods for species ie dabs,bream etc and may take my bait boat to put a bait back onto the cod ground uptide style but without casting the 200yds! anyway that's the plan,may not get a run but intend to try this every few weeks on the bigger tides till i do cos i know they're around and as they say you've got to be innit to win it. if i don't catch a shark but maybe good sized dabs or a bream i'll be chuffed anyway! it'll be a welcome change from cod bashing! :boat:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
hi mike,never use bait with these lures,on sunday cos it was a fast drift i used a 12ft flowing trace,lowered it to bottom then wound up 20 turns and keep repeating till fish jump on! This weekend i'll be fishing for 2-3lb cod for bait and mackies for the rubby dubby!!! You guys going out?
Good luck with the sharks!!
I'm not sure what my dads shifts are like.
But He can surely skip some sleep time to bag some fish lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts