World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished St Anderws pier 15:45 to 23:00, Tide LT=16:09 HT=22:47,Bait mackie,bluey,sandeel,ragworm, Weather wind from n/e, cloudy, dry, Water had plenty of movement in it.

Well just after arriving was joined by a mate Jim (mad dog) who had been fishing most of the day with very little in the way of fish to show for it, not what i was wanting to hear. We were talking to various people walking on the pier and i realised it was nearly low tide, time to fish. I got baited up and sent one cast straight out away from pier and the other more towards the sand on the right. Using 1 2 hook 1/0 paternoster the other 2up 1 down rig again 1/0 hooks with the down hook a #2.

Well waiting for bites got a couple of small knocks i think were actually crabs, then about 2 hours in seen me landing my first fish a small flounder. At this Jim started going on about how he intended to beat me on catches and that that fish made us equal 1-1 challenge accepted lol. This was him counting a fish he caught earlier in the day. A long 2 hours later had me pulling in another flounder well to me it was a flounder Jim had other thoughts. It may have been small but it was still a fish ( small is one description of it). Made me 2-1 which he moaned about for quite a while Jim stating it's only half a fish. Jim who had been getting quite a few bites all this time without actually catching fish eventually came good with a flounder 2-2 but not in his mind still arguing about my "half a fish". Around 15 minutes later i was reeling in set camera and i said to Jim be good if i brought in a flounder, he said something akin to no chance so i duly proved him wrong flounder number 3 came up 3-2. Another 20 mins seen me bringing in another fish something different this time a viviparous blenny, nice one this taking the score to 4-2 and also proving to be my last catch of the sesh. It was a slow sesh which wasn't quite what i was expecting but that's life. 4-2 was how it ended as Jim had to leave to go home.

It's not often have someone fishing with me but it was good to have Jim there plenty of chat and laughter, he also seems to think i may need help...Psychiactric type lmao no idea where he got that from. We did get the run of the mill are the mackie in brigade. We also had a young French guy talking to us sort of, we can't talk French he couldn't talk English that good he had a telescopic rod with what looked like an eddystone eel on the end of it. Jim had talk sort of with him talking about the tide being a bit low the guy went over to the ledge and sat down. He sat for a while i got the feeling he was waiting for permision from us to fish think something went astray in the chatter i think, he ended up going away after about an hour. After Jim left i was joined by a guy with a rod i swear must have been 40 years old 6' solid glass pier rod never seen a name on it. This guy was in his 20's , he then went in his bad an pulled out a radio one which i have not seen for about 30 years this is a collectors item i'm sure of it must have had about 7 bands on it, the ariel on it had it been in one piece would have been about 6'. He set up to fish he never had anything while i was there and was still fishing after i left.

Total catch Flounder 3 Blenny 1, Jim Flounder 2. It was a slow sesh with very little fish but with great company and chatter which helped pass time.

Jim and flounder.JPG

Jim with his flounder.
tn_GEDC0411.JPG

My first flounder.
tn_GEDC0414.JPG

My secon flounder about as small as you can get.
tn_GEDC0419.JPG

My third flounder.
tn_GEDC0422.JPG

My last catch a v. blenny.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice one man, may not have been the most productive of sessions but no blanking and one of the weird and wonderful with the eelpout, I'm still to catch one need to start getting my LRF gear out and about again

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Nothing wrong with a wee bit of company and competition, Mike.
Nearly all your videos your fishing solo.
You avoided the blank and had a laugh at the same time, can't be bad.

Cheers Willie

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one man, may not have been the most productive of sessions but no blanking and one of the weird and wonderful with the eelpout, I'm still to catch one need to start getting my LRF gear out and about again
Thanks for that, i never catch them eelpouts when i want to always by accident.

great report as always , saved the blank ,well done
Thanks Kevski, thankfully i did mange to beat the blank.

Nothing wrong with a wee bit of company and competition, Mike.
Nearly all your videos your fishing solo.
You avoided the blank and had a laugh at the same time, can't be bad.
Cheers Willie
It was good to have company for a change, i do a lot of fishing on my own basically 'cause i never know where i'm going to fish, depends on weather tides and of course petrol and also on records of previous trips.

Reactions: neptunes

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
At least your out fishing mate, some of us have to work for a living!!! LOL.

Been a strange summer so far in my opinion for the Moray Firth and East coast sandy beaches etc, last year I was having sessions of 20 to 30 fish at this time of year, this year still scratching around a bit. On the other hand my sessions at Fort William have seen a bigger average size of rays compared to last year. Funny old game isn't it, just when you think you got it sussed it throws a curve ball at you!!

R

·
0 Posts
bit quiet by your usual standards there at this time of year mike, but still had a few fish to keep you both going.
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least your out fishing mate, some of us have to work for a living!!! LOL.

Been a strange summer so far in my opinion for the Moray Firth and East coast sandy beaches etc, last year I was having sessions of 20 to 30 fish at this time of year, this year still scratching around a bit. On the other hand my sessions at Fort William have seen a bigger average size of rays compared to last year. Funny old game isn't it, just when you think you got it sussed it throws a curve ball at you!!
I have to work for a living too..i've been good at work i get holidays :D. That's fishing nothing is guaranteed which is part of the fun.

bit quiet by your usual standards there at this time of year mike, but still had a few fish to keep you both going.
cheers rab
A few fish there for you again Mike, not your usual high numbers but fish just the same
What you all seem to say is similar and appears to be true, the numbers of flounders caught per sesh are certainly lower than i would expect by this time of year. Another thing the sea trout is quieter too i would expect to have quite a few by now but it's not the case. My sesh about 3 weeks ago at Stoney where i ended up catching 1 dab was a bit of a shocker 2 years ago at this time i had catches of double figures up to 30 a sesh. Whether it is just the weather on the east coast or what i don't know but things are slow. All i know is the flatties better show for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good report and pics Mike...well done! Shame you didn't get the numbers of fish you were hoping for, but at least you avoided the dreaded blank and had some company to chew the fat with. Tight lines! Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts