World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at the site for a month and this is my first post so should be a bit of a pigs ear. Im a bit of a novice sea angler having spent 20 years fly/coarse fishing - im going to Pembrokeshire soon - any ideas on good marks in St Brides Bay - bait, etc

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to a great site dangler, some 1 will reply to u about the area u are askin about m8, i dont no it personally.. if ur fishings anything like your posh writing u should av no trouble m8.. tight lines 2 u..

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the site dangler.

As poach says, somebody will answer your question, don't do much fishing down that neck of the woods to be honest.

Anyway, welcome to the site mate and I hope you get as much excitement and pleasure from sea fishing as the rest of us.

MikeJr

·
Registered
59 Posts
dear dangler
whelcome to the site.what,what what.
nice to see some of our fly brethren coming over to the dark side.
should be somone on site who can help you.
tally ho ginger
fandango

·
Registered
50 Posts
the only place i go in pembroke is go down to st.davids then from there go down to whitesands bay in the carpark on your right is a gate follow the path till u come to a turn style go through that then take a left off the main path on to a bit of head land then theres a couple of ledges there u can fish. its great never caught less than 8 there and had some lovely whiting from there begining of the month. ive caught wrasse,rockling,pollack,flatties,doggys, conger,whiteing, coalfish,bass and mackrel from there so far. oh yeah and a few lobsters :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome Dangler
I'm sure there will be plenty of people chipping in to help you , As a Carp fisherman in the linear fisheries in Oxford ,I find the sea fishing totally different with regard to the people involved.
Example I spend all day on the lakes and knowone talks bait ,tackle.tactics ,etc its seems your secret day out .
Sea fishing not only do the guys talk your head off but they just love to tell you of thier exploits etc.
Look at all the posts on this site and you will see what i mean. I had a guy tell me once was that a cast you attempted then, to my amazement I concided he then proceeded to show me how and I havent looked back since.
Anyway enjoy the site its the best one on the net

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Psycho Billy you have my sympathy catching a 9.5lb marine hedgehog, I suppose it was as usual, 9.5lb of bin-lid wrapped in barbed wire, covered in snot, & smelling like a baby's pissy napkin! How I envy you, that experience is only matched by catching a 3lb green eel at the Lighthouse or Redwick! Gudge. Gudge, Gudge!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dangler, Welcome.
I haven't fished St.Brides however the area is popular with SCUBA divers and I have dived there a quite a bit. There is plenty of marine life with and abundance of Pollock and Ballan wrasse. I hae also seen mackeral, bass and gurnard near to the shore. Much of theground is kelpy and rough so appropriate rotten rigs and spinning techniques would suite.

regards.

Jet

·
Registered
198 Posts
try little haven - broad haven for bass on low tide.
A good rock fishin spot is the bay to the left of little haven (we used to call it the sheep dip) to get there you have to go to the top of little haven hill (near the camp site) to a look out piont.
Follow the coastal path to the right, there is an overgrown path that takes you down the cliff to a beach where you can climb the rocks either side for a good vantage spot. remember the word overgrawn as you may need a rope, as with all cliffs the rocks may have changed shape or part of the path may have disapeared!! There is another way down but you will definately need a rope so just go for the path route.
In my years fishing this spot it's turned up Wrasse, Pollock, trigger fish, Bass, Doggy's, Bullhuss, Conger, gurnard, mackrel and even the odd tope!
remember safety on the clambering down but as it tends to be with fishing if you put that little bit of effort in you usually get results.
Hot bait tip = medium hard back crap on float (triggers and wrasse go mad for it)
Tight lines
JD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all that. Let you know how I get on.
dangler
Ps I may write posh but my beachcaster cost 30 quid. Posh fishing tackle or what.

·
Registered
58 Posts
blueskip said:
Psycho Billy you have my sympathy catching a 9.5lb marine hedgehog, I suppose it was as usual, 9.5lb of bin-lid wrapped in barbed wire, covered in snot, & smelling like a baby's pissy napkin! How I envy you, that experience is only matched by catching a 3lb green eel at the Lighthouse or Redwick! Gudge. Gudge, Gudge!!!!!!
blueskip

Not a bad description but in these dire times at least it pulled my string...;)

there's more to fishing than COD and BASS!!!!

And my best Green (or should that be SILVER) eel was 3lb 14oz at Farm Fields.....and It's Bigger cousin 22lb 8oz Conger from the shore at Manobier.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
No Poach I dont like em at all, they are as big a pain as growlers, live eel or mackerel strip fished either drifted or anchored for turbot or bass over the Mixen Bank is 99% sure to give you a thornback or growler, its 1% the target species!
Move to St Christophers Gnoll & its the same, move to Slade & it changes from thornbacks to small-eyed + growlers of course!
I often dream of a Bristol Channel "ray & growler free" & the bottom carpeted with nice edible fat flatties, yummy!
blueskip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts