World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to St Catherine's today fished from 10am-3pm (high tide 12:35) it was a bite a cast for the 1st couple of hours about 12ish it died down to a bite an hour. Was great day for it sun was out and seemed to sit above me all day the dark clouds circled but stayed away. Anyways I ended up with dogfish that was 1lb9oz and a Sea Trout that was 1lb4oz both returned safe and well, did notice some scaring on 1 side of the Sea Trout though but healed well enough. I lost 2 Thornback Rays which was gutting as would have been new species for me, I was using a 3 hook flapper (shop bought) which gave way at the swivel both times!!

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Went to St Catherine's today fished from 10am-3pm (high tide 12:35) it was a bite a cast for the 1st couple of hours about 12ish it died down to a bite an hour. Was great day for it sun was out and seemed to sit above me all day the dark clouds circled but stayed away. Anyways I ended up with dogfish that was 1lb9oz and a Sea Trout that was 1lb4oz both returned safe and well, did notice some scaring on 1 side of the Sea Trout though but healed well enough. I lost 2 Thornback Rays which was gutting as would have been new species for me, I was using a 3 hook flapper (shop bought) which gave way at the swivel both times!!
well done sir. great photos, cracking day for it ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good report and pics. Shame about losing the Rays, but at least you managed to land a couple of nice fish. :thumbs: Tight lines :fishing1: Gary
Thanks for that, I'm going to take trip back over tomorrow for few hours try and get my 4yr old to catch the bug and bring beginners luck hopefully catch the Thornbacks lol

G

·
well done on the fish you did land mate. for thornies from the shore its always better to stick to 1 bait with either a single hook or pennel ,if you use multi hook rigs the other ones are prone to snagging up as a half decent thorny will tend to stick to the bottom on the way in.
i use 60 or 80lb snoods for thornies,less chance of them letting go.
cheers rab

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Managed to get back to same spot on Tuesday and the wee fella was raring to go! Got to the spot again about 10ish and fished to 2-2:30ish (wee man wasn't happy with dad's sandwiches and wanted McDs) we had several bites but just could manage any hook ups except I huge crab. Did notice loads if oil in the water tho and slime/slidge over the top at high tide

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
St Cath's is one of those annoying spots on Fyne that sometimes just doesn't fish if there's a gust the wrong way or a bit of rain the night before. No idea why, someone with more experience may be able to explain! Really deep water right in front of the jetty, though, you'd think there'd be thornies about as well as the requisite dugs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
St Cath's is one of those annoying spots on Fyne that sometimes just doesn't fish if there's a gust the wrong way or a bit of rain the night before. No idea why, someone with more experience may be able to explain! Really deep water right in front of the jetty, though, you'd think there'd be thornies about as well as the requisite dugs.
Thanks for the reply, yeah It has slight wind on the Monday but great day and the Local I was talking to on the Tuesday had said that it was raining heavy the Monday night so that could explain the difference between the 2 days. I would go back and try again seen couple more spots on that side of the water further down that I may give a try also see what luck I can have there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds like u were kept busy!Good old doggies!Looks like a fresh sea trout aswel.I never buy pre made rigs there rubbish,always breaking if not the 1st session they will break the next!Save urself some ££ and make ur own.. Tight lines!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I fished on the Monday night from 7.00 to 11.00 no thornies myself but plenty of dogs, did you fish the shore to the right of the jetty that can be a bit hit and miss at times, as the other lads said its so easy to make your own rigs nowadays and they will be so much better than any shop bought stuff

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fished on the Monday night from 7.00 to 11.00 no thornies myself but plenty of dogs, did you fish the shore to the right of the jetty that can be a bit hit and miss at times, as the other lads said its so easy to make your own rigs nowadays and they will be so much better than any shop bought stuff
Hi Frank I fished to the left of the pier, I caught the sea trout about 40 yards out and the others where at distance, was 1st time fishing that area and weeds looked less on the left next time I'm going to take 3 rods and try both sides and straight out from pier hopefully if have better luck. Don't want to go during Mackie season an envisage be full of trumpets!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts