World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Heading there in the end of Aug. and just wondering if anyone knows much about shore fishing down there and what I should use as far as bait, lures, hooks and the like. I have a 9' Tsunami with an Okuma Epixor reel. Hoping that I can catch a decent amount without chartering but may do that as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also wondering if anyone has some spots?...... also general spots i just want to sustain myself if at the beaches so be it. I would love any response

·
Registered
883 Posts
I went there for the day as part of a cruise - took some fishing gear ahsore and threw some lures about. I didn't catch but a local was fishing from the beach right in front of the main shopping strip and he had three or 4 nice fish which looked like bass / barramundi type things. This was early in the morning before it got too hot.

Sorry I can't be more specific, only had a few hours there, then did some shopping as the island is ridiculously cheap!

Cuda

G

·
Where in St Maarten are you going? I was there a couple of years ago in Simpson Bay.
I did not have any success although I did not do very much fishing. I fished in a channel between the beach and the marina which seemed quite popular with the locals. There were a lot of good fish splashing when chasing after fry and if you stood on the bridge over the tyop you could see some very good sized fish. A local told me you could get Cobia and if you were lucky, Tarpon.
In the marina there were some enormous Tarpon, up to around 5-6ft hanging around the back of the restaurant we used. They would feed on the scraps of food thrown in and it was quite a sight. These probably also used this channel to get in and out of the marina but I dont think you would stand a chance of landing one!
When snorkelling around boats within easy casting distance of the beach there would often be shoals of baitfish underneath. These would often be herded by either Barracuda to about 20lb and sometimes by tuna to the same size and was amazing to watch.
I think your best bet would be to try and get some of these baitfish and use them either live or dead.
While there spend a few hours at the Sunset Beach Bar at Maho Bay (at the end of the runway). Not only do they have some great drinks but women get theirs free if topless (and there are a few takers!) and you are only feet from the planes landing. You can actually stand on the wall and they pass only a few feet above your head. Here is a video I shot of it...St Maarten Airport .
Have a great time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be at Oyster Bay Resort for the most part but I will be traveling the island. I am very happy to hear that there are tuna in that close.... That is what I would love to catch since it so good to eat (might cut down on food expense and it's hard to get any fresher than that!). Any idea what bait they go after most down there? I know where I am from off the coast of Maine in the states Blue Fin go for squid quite a bit.

G

·
The ones I saw were chasing the baitfish underneath moored boats so I would guess you would be best to try them as bait!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I have read about travel rods in the forums and I guess when traveling down there it may make sense to purchase a travel rod. I am hesitant to buy anything but st. croix because I know they are serious quality. I also read about TFO and how they make some decent travel rods but don't know if they are going to break at all if I catch something big. Any good suggestions for something in the $100 (USD) range? I just don't want to spend much and then have it break when I catch a good fish. Also, any links on proper setups for the strong sharp teeth of barracuda and the like? I know some basic knots but basically just enough for the bluefish and striped bass we find in the northeast portion of the US. i would hate to catch a nice fish and lose it because my knot failed and not my tackle.

:help:

Thanks everyone!

Nick

G

·
I cant help with the rods on your side of the water, but always use a short length of light wire trace when using end tackle that may catch something with sharp teeth!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Also I have read about travel rods in the forums and I guess when traveling down there it may make sense to purchase a travel rod. I am hesitant to buy anything but st. croix because I know they are serious quality. I also read about TFO and how they make some decent travel rods but don't know if they are going to break at all if I catch something big. Any good suggestions for something in the $100 (USD) range? I just don't want to spend much and then have it break when I catch a good fish. Also, any links on proper setups for the strong sharp teeth of barracuda and the like? I know some basic knots but basically just enough for the bluefish and striped bass we find in the northeast portion of the US. i would hate to catch a nice fish and lose it because my knot failed and not my tackle.

:help:

Thanks everyone!

Nick
Hi Nick
Um ... as you noted you won't be able to pick up anything the quality of a St Croix, Sage or Loomis within that budget. Have you perhaps considered one of the major retailers like BassPro? They do a range of 'half reasonable' 3 piece travel spin rods for 120$US based on an IM-7 blank with Fuji fittings. BassPro's online store is http://www.basspro.com - this was the specific link - http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_89494_151002002_151000000_151002000_151-2-2 - or they may have one of their mega-stores close to you. I presume you don't live in Bedfordshire!

For Barracuda tube lures are very effective - they're through-wired. (You can buy them on line from somewhere like Captain Harry's in Miami - http://www.captharry.com - or other stores. Or as Cascars mentioned short wire traces, coupled with Rapala type plugs, will work. I tend to break the diving lips off those lures, it enables you to work them faster, much faster straighter retrieves than you would for your North Eastern Stripers and Bluefish. Try casting about 20' from a cruising Barracuda and wind as quickly as possible.

As to knots those you currently use will, I'm sure, work. Or you could try tying a very short Bimini Twist or Hawaiian (Australian) Plait to create a 'double'. (Just google on the Web for tying instructions.) Then attach the swivel with an Offshore Trolling knot. That combination will give you close to 100% strength.

I really can't help in terms of the specific location you're staying but one of our Club members had intended to fly fish for Bones on the island recently, a stop over returning from the Galapagos Island, BUT he injured his leg and was forced to cancel! But the point is there should be Bonefish on the Flats. (There's a 'sticky' at the front of the General International forum that you may wish to read regarding techniques.) And other Club members who fished the island's Blue Marlin tournament were told about Tarpon being present.

Have you perhaps considered a post to the appropriate forum on http://www.tripadvisor.com?
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts