World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I decided that I would head to the Bay tonight for a couple of hours.

My ears are still ringing from the noise of the crashing waves. Nice spot, though would'nt recommend going alone. Very dark and quite remote.

Fished the last groyne towards Deal, could not remember which side of the groyne we used to fish. Size 4 hook and makkie head on.

Nothing! BUT! 9.30pm, I was about to pack up and leave but the rod tip began to really pull down, at 1st I thought it was just wave action but it just kept going and going. I waited then it repeated again so I went for it. By eck! I really struggled for about 20 minutes, gaining a bit at a time it was like a chuffin tug-o-war match. Eventually it did snag and I lost the battle.

The only comparison I can make to this was when I caught a conger, it was exactly like that time.

Shame I did not deliver the goods but I half expected to blank tonite anyway, I have never known of a conger landed from the shore around here but I am certain you guys may be able to put me right. I do know that they are in our waters. Possible at St Margs, maybe? Let me know your thoughts please.

On reflection I tink I should have been a bit more patient.

Ta very muchly.:wallbash:

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Nice report. Ive no idea what your monster was though.

Are you sure on that hook size? A size 4 for a whole mackie head?!

Or should that read 4/0!!!!!!

any whooos, well done and good luck on your next adventure.

·
Banned
887 Posts
well done on the report, i have had strap congers from kingsdown many years ago and they get them from dover so anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I remember a mate who used to supply my bait getting a conger from the Butts, which is just around the corner. bloody great big thing, 40lb plus. His photo was on the wall of the local cafe for ages with the eel wrapped over his shoulders. There must be a few to be had in that ground, as Ive seen a few caught just a short way off there in the boats, mainly caught when codding inshore.

Raider.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
there are conger their if you target them,as well as at the butts at kingsdown,a mate used to fish there with good results.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Enjoyed your report MrYardley.

Thanks.

:clap2:

As for the identity of what was on the end of your line, I wondered whether it might be Shirleycodlin in a wet suit sooking for the elusive cod!

:secret:

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
the butts held the shore record for conger at one time .i think it went 56lb but being my fav mark have seen i think 2 fish lost that looked like conger but like a lot of anglers maybe not knowing how to fight big fish they were lost by hanging on a not giving line

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments chaps. I am planning on going back for round 2 at some point but will make sure I have the correct setup and more time. At a guess I would think 50lb line on my Abu7000 reel and a size 8/0 on a wire should do the trick. Oh, and 3 shredded wheat for breakfast!

Cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wrote a report on here a couple of years back of catching a shark from the same spot 15 mins of taking line getting it back rod bent double until I finally beached it. I say shark it was a carrier bag but it had Thresher written on it so I'm claiming it!!:bangin: (we followed it up with 2 clear bags and a black bin liner).

All true about the Butts though never had a large one myself but a few over the years biggest around 14lb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts