World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I'm staying at a site near st mary's beach at the back end of August, and am thinking about taking some gear with me. If anybody could pass on some info about the mark I'd be really grateful.
Tight lines George

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Only fished it while on holiday myself. St Marys bay is quite a big place and most species are caught somewhere along its shores. If you fish the beach then you stand a good chance of bass if you fish at the southern end in front of the rock as you come down the steps. Fish just as it gets dark at the top of the tide with squid or mackerel head and guts and don't cast too far.
If you prefer to floatfish then Mackerel and Garfish are easily caught from the rocks along the norths shores of Sharkham Point and if you fish the on the bottom there are wrasse in the daylight on crab and worm and there is always a chance of hitting into a big eel or huss after dark.
The cliffs are quite low and paths are clear along the north shore but if you intend to explore other areas around Berry Head side on your first visit be careful as although the paths are well worn they can be slippy in wet weather and they are quite steep.

best of luck.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Karlos. My only chances will be to fish late in the evening or early in the morning, so that seems OK. tight lines George

·
Registered
80 Posts
a good time to fish as said is evening, i have found dexter wedges to get some nice bass from there, just near the large rocky outcrop is good or to the left about 100 feet or so.
Another good spot is to take the path a little way up from the steps and go out towards sharkham point,there will be a path about a quarter of a mile along just past the wooden gate that takes you down past a grassy area to a lovely flat outcrop of rock were wrasse and bass can be caught at anytime of tide or day, plugs and wedges for the bass and a nice float rig gets the wrasse near the weedy areas.

hope that helps, ive fished around there a lot, lovely area when clean.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks J4mie, all good stuff George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.