World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
St Mawes, Cornwall.
Is that in the south west section.
Any body give me an idea if the fishing is any good down there as im going down for a few days in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I have never fished there ,but it’s very expensive to buy a house there , POSH is the word , it sits on an estuary,you should have no trouble finding somewhere to fish.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never fished there ,but it’s very expensive to buy a house there , POSH is the word , it sits on an estuary,you should have no trouble finding somewhere to fish.
I got free accomodation for a few days, from one of my customers.
So i thoyght id do some fishing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Fishing round there is pretty good. I am hopefully down there in a couple of weeks myself. As john has alluded to, it's very expensive. Make sure your charging your customer enough if he can afford a house down there :BigGrin:

You have got access to the Fall and Percuil rivers. I tend to fish in the Percuil, head inland and find an access point down to the river. Light bass rods, carp rods or spinning rods should catch plenty of schoolies and possibly gilthead bream.

I have fished under St Mawes castle, right at the tip of the headland and caught Huss. This is quite easy acccess and a good car park. I believe there are also Rays to be had from there, but I think that is more seasonal.

Then on the St Anthony's side you have got the open coast, with some rock marks and sandy bass beaches. The rocks under the coastguard hut at portscatho is a well known spot and relatively easy access spot. I have caught Huss, wrasse from here .I would expect that Mack's and bass are possible too .

For bait, there is a garden centre on the road into the Roseland from the A30 at Ruan high lanes. They get fresh rag and lug delivered on a Friday . They also have some frozen.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. P.m. me if you want to know anything else.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishing round there is pretty good. I am hopefully down there in a couple of weeks myself. As john has alluded to, it's very expensive. Make sure your charging your customer enough if he can afford a house down there :BigGrin:

You have got access to the Fall and Percuil rivers. I tend to fish in the Percuil, head inland and find an access point down to the river. Light bass rods, carp rods or spinning rods should catch plenty of schoolies and possibly gilthead bream.

I have fished under St Mawes castle, right at the tip of the headland and caught Huss. This is quite easy acccess and a good car park. I believe there are also Rays to be had from there, but I think that is more seasonal.

Then on the St Anthony's side you have got the open coast, with some rock marks and sandy bass beaches. The rocks under the coastguard hut at portscatho is a well known spot and relatively easy access spot. I have caught Huss, wrasse from here .I would expect that Mack's and bass are possible too .

For bait, there is a garden centre on the road into the Roseland from the A30 at Ruan high lanes. They get fresh rag and lug delivered on a Friday . They also have some frozen.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. P.m. me if you want to know anything else.
Cheers pickard.
Good bit of info there.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

That’s a pretty thorough roundup of the local area. If you have access to a boat, even a small one there is some fantastic fishing to be had pretty close by.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you have access to a boat, even a small one there is some fantastic fishing to be had pretty close by.
Hi John. I am down October 20th for a week. I've often thought about hiring one of the self drive boats from St Mawes for a day. What kind of stuff might I catch in the Carrick roads in late October.
Cod? :confused2:
Obviously I wouldn't have a plotter or sonar, so I could only aim for general areas, rather than aiming for specific reefs /wrecks . Would it be worthwhile?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If it was me I would definitely take the chance - but I love my boat fishing. The only thing that I would say may scupper the fishing is any bad weather. From the roads there are plenty of areas where you can stand a good chance of bullhuss, thornbacks, bass, mackerel and pilchards ( providing the tides are right and the weather hasn’t pushed them off ) there’s a fair chance of gurnards and even the off chance of codling, whiting, spotted ray, conger eels. You don’t need specific marks so a plotter etc isn’t strictly necessary. An anchor and a good length of rope is. I’ve done a few YouTube vids fishing in the roads around st mawes, trefusis and st Just. Also if you’re that way inclined there will be squid and cuttlefish around.
If the weather is really nice you can even make a trip out into the bay, lots of wrasse, pollack and other reefy fish around the old wall. 1/2 mile from shore.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have a look at these chap's channels. John (above) has done a few vids. Here's a link to one:-

And Rob (below) fishes the area a lot. Here's a link to his channel:-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBOrE59jaCUh0XS-pMTHgA

I've fished nearby quite a few times and here's the species I had this summer:-

The other lads vids are more informative than mine and they are well worth watching. I'm stalking them on you tube but don't let them know ;) . I use my yak most of the time when down that way but have shore fished from St mawes jetty, the beach by the jetty and Idle Rocks restaurant. Only had mackerel though. Hire a boat, catch some whoppers and add a catch report. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Have a look at these chap's channels. John (above) has done a few vids. Here's a link to one:-

And Rob (below) fishes the area a lot. Here's a link to his channel:-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBOrE59jaCUh0XS-pMTHgA

I've fished nearby quite a few times and here's the species I had this summer:-

The other lads vids are more informative than mine and they are well worth watching. I'm stalking them on you tube but don't let them know ;) . I use my yak most of the time when down that way but have shore fished from St mawes jetty, the beach by the jetty and Idle Rocks restaurant. Only had mackerel though. Hire a boat, catch some whoppers and add a catch report. :)
Haha. Don’t worry. Your secrets safe with me. ;) I’ve got a good vid going up tomoro evening from around st mawes and Falmouth bay. Lots of mixed species and all using simple kit. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts