World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a half day at work yesterday so decided to dig a few worms and go fish my home town for the first time since i left to join the raf 9 years ago... the place has never changed!!

fished two hours before till two and a half hours after high water and had a bag including 4 codling ( the biggest bout 2.5lb), a ballan wrasse ( bout 3 lb which i was more than happy with!!) and about 12 coalies ranging from half a pound up to 3lb!!

only used lug and everything went back as fresh as it came out!! nearly came up to arboath big dunny but decided on this instead... don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad i did!

take it easy, doors!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
doors1978 said:
nearly came up to arboath big dunny but decided on this instead... don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad i did!

take it easy, doors!
Dont blame ya m8 :D sounds like ya had a great day :D :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes mate, fished the very end of the breakwater... the wrasse was caught straight down the side when i was playing around with some light gear!!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
So it doesn't flood over high water then ? Lol .
Has a peek there last sunday, but ruled it out due to the kelp jungle off the end. Think i'll give it a bash tomorrow :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
was going to fish it the other day but there were loads of kids with wet suits on diving into the waters so i drove on to crail where i caught 1 small cod ,and 2 wrasse one was about the 2 pound mark and the other was about 5 inches long. lug and squid used for bait .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the breakwater is okay to fish at high tide, but if the sea's choppy the occasional wave breaks over the lowest bit!the end stay's dry all the time though, if you ain't in a rush to leave you can sit the tide out at the end safely... the kelp jungle is off-putting but to be honest i only lost one set of gear in four and a half hours! as for the kids swimming, they tend to stick to the inner harbour if some-ones fishing at the end of the breakwater...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The key to fishing Pittenweem breakwater is simply to nip down some day when there is a big tide and it's full out.You'll see the clear 'holes' in the kelp beds quite easily.If you take a few rough sketches with marks and distances lined up to the May Island,Dunnet Head,and the Bass Rock,you can find them no bother when the tide's full.A lot of people make the mistake of big casts when they're not necessary.Also if the weather's from the east or south east,fish close in to the end of the pier,if it's from the west or south west,fish over the back towards the golf course.You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.A south east swell bounces of the pier and causes and undercurrent which will have you tying up gear all day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no the breakwater is okay to fish at high tide, but if the sea's choppy the occasional wave breaks over the lowest bit!the end stay's dry all the time though, if you ain't in a rush to leave you can sit the tide out at the end safely... the kelp jungle is off-putting but to be honest i only lost one set of gear in four and a half hours! as for the kids swimming, they tend to stick to the inner harbour if some-ones fishing at the end of the breakwater...
was at the end of the pier when some kids came and wanted to do some water jumping so told them to go back to harbour cuz were fishing here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Soz for thread digging here but i'm reminiscing, i helped make the first of the steel boats made at Millars boat yard. Prawn boat called the Oruna. Broke all records i heard first year in service . No longer afloat by all accounts , unsurprisingly really as that must have been all of 35 years past. Been through the town recently and the big shed has gone altogether .
Big change for the town, excellent vets at the top of the town now, saved my dogs leg after a fight with a car .
Love the arial view.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts