World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boat has been described a 17` Plymouth Pilot Type, which has a single cylinder 12 horse BMW Diesel, but seems to be a bit tippy and any ideas on how to stabilise it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hello there it might be an idea to put som,e ballast in the bottom of your boat when i bought my boat the guy i bought it from said the same it made a big differ when i put weight low down in her bilges...charlie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Plymouth Pilots are sound, well built boats, I reckon you may need as much as 2 cwt ballast, try to use lead bars in sacks secured low down in bilges, If you aint got enough lead then chain in bags works well or if stuck a couple of bags of sand strategically placed will do , remember when trimming her up to allow for all gear & persons when underway & at anchor, You may need to suck it and see a little but be patient and it will be worth it ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scallyumph said:
hello there it might be an idea to put som,e ballast in the bottom of your boat when i bought my boat the guy i bought it from said the same it made a big differ when i put weight low down in her bilges...charlie
Many thanks for your reply, will give that a go..
CB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mo Merkur said:
Plymouth Pilots are sound, well built boats, I reckon you may need as much as 2 cwt ballast, try to use lead bars in sacks secured low down in bilges, If you aint got enough lead then chain in bags works well or if stuck a couple of bags of sand strategically placed will do , remember when trimming her up to allow for all gear & persons when underway & at anchor, You may need to suck it and see a little but be patient and it will be worth it ;)
Many thanks for your reply and will give it a "suck". CB

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a look down the list of answers members have suggested to your stability problems and they all work depending on the shape of your bilge. The last thing you need is ballast moving in snotty seas.

I had the same problem and tried several methods but this last one cured it.
Work out the rough shape of your bilge at the lowest point you can get to.

Make up some moulds out of 3/4 MDF and line the moulds with aluminium baking foil.
Buy scrap lead from your local dealer and if you go first thing on Saturday or Monday morning after the plumbers and roofers have been on Friday you should be able to pick up new scrap which when melted will not leave any slag.
Melt it in an old iron sauce pan and tip into your moulds,you should be able to get 2cwt in a a fairly small space.
Keep a few of the roofing type flat lead bits to one side and where you have gaps it will role up to whatever size you want to fit in between the ingots you have made and stop them moving.
Good luck and happy boating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sparky said:
I had a look down the list of answers members have suggested to your stability problems and they all work depending on the shape of your bilge. The last thing you need is ballast moving in snotty seas.

I had the same problem and tried several methods but this last one cured it.
Work out the rough shape of your bilge at the lowest point you can get to.

Make up some moulds out of 3/4 MDF and line the moulds with aluminium baking foil.
Buy scrap lead from your local dealer and if you go first thing on Saturday or Monday morning after the plumbers and roofers have been on Friday you should be able to pick up new scrap which when melted will not leave any slag.
Melt it in an old iron sauce pan and tip into your moulds,you should be able to get 2cwt in a a fairly small space.
Keep a few of the roofing type flat lead bits to one side and where you have gaps it will role up to whatever size you want to fit in between the ingots you have made and stop them moving.
Good luck and happy boating.
Thanks for your suggestions there, Sparky, will have a look in the bilges and see what can be done. CB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts