World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me where i might buy a stainless keel band for my Sea Jeep?
a web url would be nice for a pic.

Thanks

AL ..

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Al, I used to work for this company, would 316 S/S flat bar do you ??? Heres the link for it...they will deliver to you as well :):

http://www.metalfin.co.uk/products_flat-bar.htm

Only thing is the price changes daily mate :(

Davy Holt got some for his boat, did the job well ...:):)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have a steel stockholder near me who has a guillotine, they will cut strips from 316L sheet to whatever width I want. I am guessing they are far from unique and are a lot cheeper than a bespoke keel band with a "marine "tag and price to match.

All you then need is a decent drill and countersink and away you go. Check steel stockholders near you and see if they can help but just ask for the width, length and thickness you need, don't tell them it is for a boat or the price goes up. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a steel stockholder near me who has a guillotine, they will cut strips from 316L sheet to whatever width I want. I am guessing they are far from unique and are a lot cheeper than a bespoke keel band with a "marine "tag and price to match.

All you then need is a decent drill and countersink and away you go. Check steel stockholders near you and see if they can help but just ask for the width, length and thickness you need, don't tell them it is for a boat or the price goes up. :)
Hehe - i can get plenty of stainless :)
To be honest, i don't really know what a keel band looks like, i was assuming it to look summat like "angle" which ran the length of the keel, maybe up the bow to above water level??? in which case, surely this angled stainless would have to be roll formed to fit the bow curve??
Drilling/fitting etc wouldn't be a problem.

If i'm totally on the wrong track, i wouldn't be surprised, it's usual for me :) I just like the idea of (1) a nice shiny piece of stainless (2) something to protect the keel from the bl**dy continual scratching i keep getting :)

If it's likely to cost me another re-mortgage, well, i ain't that keen lol

Al ..

Ahhh, ok, is it just a thin strip of stainless running the length of the keel, in the centre?? i'm thinking that's maybe it - lol
I'll post this now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts