World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know a lot of other people here have the same unit as me so was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar problems!

Since its got a bit colder my cp300 seems to take a long time to find signal when it's cold! Once I have the engine running and get the heater on on the cabin the GPS finds the satalights once warm.
I know that my battery's are good so it's not a voltage issue it just seems to be the colder it is the longer it takes!

I have a garmin gpsmap 4010 fitted and that finds its signal strait away!

I know of someone else who had the same problem last winter during the frosty weather!
Anyone else having similar issues?

Cheers martin

15,082 Posts
Hi guys, I know a lot of other people here have the same unit as me so was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar problems!

Since its got a bit colder my cp300 seems to take a long time to find signal when it's cold! Once I have the engine running and get the heater on on the cabin the GPS finds the satalights once warm.
I know that my battery's are good so it's not a voltage issue it just seems to be the colder it is the longer it takes!

I have a garmin gpsmap 4010 fitted and that finds its signal strait away!

I know of someone else who had the same problem last winter during the frosty weather!
Anyone else having similar issues?

Cheers martin
Dampness in the GPS aerial.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Why would it work once the unit is warm? When it has an external aerial mounted to the wheelhouse roof?
I take it the cabin you mention about getting the heater on is actually the wheel house? if this is the case it will make the dampness go away as its bolted to the roof of the wheelhouse

ETEC

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it off and undo the screws on the underside, the top will then come off. If it has 3 screws, it's an early model antenna, it's most likely distorted and allowing moisture in. Later antennas have 5 retaining screws ans distort less. Check, dry, seal, refit.
I'm going down there thisafternoon so I'll have a look, it was only brought 2 years ago so I don't know how long ago they brought out the revised antennas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Antenna is dry inside!

Strangely enough some of the local charter skippers were complaining that there gps's were not finding satalights in the cold weather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts