World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A little expert advice please
Could anyone explain the pro's and con's of star drag and lever drag.
E.g
Abu ambassadeur 7000 C4 LD ( lever drag ) & Abu ambassadeur 7000 (star drag).

All very much appreciated
Regards
Arctechnic

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Arct.

Without going into technical detail as to how both systems work, it is all down to what you prefer. I prefer the star to the L.D.

I have a feeling that there is a thread posted somewhere on the forum that gives a full explanation of both systems.

Cheers

Drew

L

·
0 Posts
On Abu reels 6000 LD & 7000LD the freewheeling of the spool is compromised. It takes more wieght to make a cast. If useing lures, you have to use a heaver weight lure. With that said the Lever drag can be PRE-SET and the setting can be returned to acurately. With a STAR if you change it (after setting it with a scale) it is a guess as to what the new setting is. With the LD reels to cast the lever is pulled back to release the spool. On the STAR a button is pressed, the drag setting is not changed. When fighting a fish the LEVER type is more accurate and the setting changed(to increase or decrease) to preset adjustments. If a distance cast is in order the STAR will out-distance the LEVER by quite a bit. You loose on the outgo and gain on the income. Tossup? If after big fish close by LEVER. If after smaller fish away STAR. Both have a place. Here on the East Coast of the US where I fish, I use the LEVER casting 2-4oz. bucktails arount bridge pilings for Striped Bass and the STAR for the long cast of 8&bait for Red Drum. Confused yet?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys
I am mainly inshore fishing from a boat in the North sea so whether uptiding or jigging a long cast is not really necessary so I guess ( please put me straight if I am wrong) the LD will do the job.

Happy Angling
Arctechnic

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Arct.

As will the Star.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Drew
As a converted coarse angler I find yours and everyone else' advice on this site very encouraging. To some the questions may sound a little foolish but I would like to get things right, so if in doubt ask and that is what I do. This forum as helped me alot so THANKS!! everyone. Keep up the good work.

Happy Angling
Regards
Arctechnic

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just another thought, I spend all my time fishing from a boat and use star drags all the time. when I set up for the day I set my drag to suit the line I am using and then forget it, and unless I get a real Biggie don.t touch it for the rest of the day, works for me. and I rarely loose a fish, it might take me a while to get a big one in but I don.t loose it through my line snapping, and thats what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Life is complicated enough without having to worry about star or LD. I tend to leave the technical side to the boffins. Like Gus has said whatever suits you use it. Set it up and don't tinker with it unless you have to. We all have our own way of doing things and although always willing to accept advice we tend to return to our own ways in the end.

I know that I sound like a cracked record (before CD's) but I don't care, Never buy a cheap reel, they may look good on the outside, but it is the gears and what they are made from that counts.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts