World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’ve not had a sea fishing trip since early June and the summer tackle service / tidy up was completed weeks ago, I’ve been getting pretty cranky lately. And as anyone who knows me will quickly tell you that I am well cranky enough without any further provocation!
So nothing for it, something’s got to be done, tide tables and weather forecast consulted, I decided that a trip to Chapel Six Marshes on Thursday 06.08.09 was the way to go. Bait ordered (peelers and lug) from James S-H, which duly turned up as requested, excellent quality it was too, thank you James.

Excitement high we set off at about 2pm, the plan being to fish from 4 pm till 10 pm, over the top and into darkness. Huh! 10 minuets down the road and the heavens opened up, pulling over into a lay-by, I said to my wife “ there’s no way we can fish in this baby”, so back home we went. Well ten out of ten for XC weather for getting the forecast right, minus several thousand for being a day out! Crankier than ever when we got back, I thought, “I’m not having this”, so a hasty rearrange of schedule and appointments, we eventually made it to the beach at 4.45 pm on Friday 07.08.09, the plan now being to fish from 5 pm to 11 pm.

Conditions looked promising, sea was flat with barely any swell, semi coloured. What wind there was, was ENE but swinging round to NW, sunny and warm. Only a few others there, I managed to spot a bit of a feature about 300 yards South of the access point, so set up there. There was no weed to speak of but the crabs made using lug a pointless exercise, a pity really as my little wife does enjoy a flattie or two, and I’d set up the Abu as a third rod to try to scratch out a couple. Ended up fishing with small chunks of peeler on the Abu too, all to no avail though, here it was 10 pm and not a bite had! I decided to re-bait the TDXS’S, but this time with smaller more streamlined baits and bang them out just as far as I could, as a last fling before all the water had gone. Success! Yeah, a classic smoothie bite, that shuddery pull then twangs slack, resulted in a spirited little 4.5 lb starry. Revelling in the warm glow of satisfaction I fished on for about 30 minuets, but water had gone, any more casts would have hit the snags, it was time to go. Just one more thing, when I cranked in the scratching rod, there was a small fish caught on the top hook, it turned out to be a weaver! Please do make sure you look carefully at those tiddelers in the dark, before you grab hold of them.

Yes yes, I know a pretty little starry and a pratt in a silly hat!

Take care and tight lines,
Mickt..

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Well done mate, it's not been easy to catch down that way of late but I have noticed a lot of weavers coming out...........:marinheir

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed the trip anyway mate, it's a tough old job at the minute so maybe not a bad result.

I had 2 weavers a few weeks ago on 3/0 Mackerel feathers in The Wash, first time i've ever seen one.

AL ..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Great report Crimson well done on the smoothhound, they do fight well at that size. Hopefully they'll hang around for a few weeks yet.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well done for sticking it out, it's been a good year for weavers if nothing else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated, I did take the time and try to do an interesting and informative report, but hey ho, perhaps Paul_G’s got a point, and a simple two liner would have done?

The weevers, it’s the first one I’ve ever caught too, in 38 years! I did see one caught about 20 years ago, and the unfortunate chap that caught it ended up having to be taken to hospital in the middle of the night, I look very carefully at every small fish that I bring in ever since. This year it seems there’s been a population explosion of them, I wonder what has caused that?

Jeff (Millplus), thanks for that, Cai (the burger chef) was tickled pink with your post, quite made her day that you remembered her, she said ” Oh yeah, the good looking young one who caught the crab”, a significant achievement where she comes from I assure you, anyway thanks again.

Coalie, perceptive as ever, thanks mate. Fight it certainly did! Ok cranking it in I realised it was not that big, but when it got to the surf it went totally manic. Tearing about like a supercharged speedboat, tail walking, leaping out and somersaulting, in the moonlight and my headlamp it was a great sight and a real hoot, still brings a smile to my face now.
I guess that the big hitter smoothie experts around will find this all totally insignificant, but I didn’t, I was pleased with my tackle, pleased with my casting and delighted with the fish. If I pull off a trip like that every time I go I’d be well happy.
I figure there could be about 5 weeks of season left this year if we’re lucky, but just in case I’m off out again tomorrow. I think it will need to be 160 yards min again though and 7.30 / 8.00pm start, as the water’s going to be coloured and 1 to 3 hours down is when you’re most likely to catch, hopefully!

Take care and tight lines,
Mickt..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts