World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue of fishing tourists taking far more than their quota is beginning to come home here in Norway.

The very generous 20 kg of fillets is not enough for many who have emptied our fjords and fishing places every season - some we know use the fish to pay for their hollidays - as this is a gift from the Norwegian people to those who fish in the first place, to take more than the quota is a direct insult, worse it is plain stealing.

The latest suggestion is that tourists will not be allowed to take home filleted fish - the fish must be whole.

2 years ago the Fishing tourists here at Hustadvika discovered one of our best fishing places and proceeded to empty it - it is about 7 km out to sea so it is dangerous to visit in small boats.

I can catch 30 kg of fish in an hour with a fishing rod on my own - 3 to 5 boats with a minimum of 3 in each there from early til late in the day doesent bear thinking about. They take everything.

What do you think about this?
https://fiskeribladet.no/nyheter/?a...tOwm9D83rG0ka7lZSCSLvnGTBvBaAqtN6mNujouBb_5VE

One of the most powerful emotions is when you have a good fish on the end of your line, truly awesome.
20190615160848(2).jpg
20190615160848(3).jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Hyse

I think it’s a disgrace that the rules are routinely ignored and so many people turn a blind eye to this

It is really not that complicated

The law says 20kg so it should be policed accordingly

Most sensible people would see this as more than enough to take home, it takes my family of 4 a good while to get through our 20kg

Not being able to take any home may put some people off so a 20kg allowance is fair dos

And it’s surely not that hard to catch people with trailers and vans full of fish at the borders

Am glad the awareness of this issue is being raised

Thanks for sharing

Austin

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does the 20kg rule still apply? I thought it was 15kg per person now.

I do think you are right on the matter though. That is an ample amount of fillets per person to take home. I once saw a party of Germans loading their trailer with cod fillets. The cod they had caught were mainly under sized too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the 20kg rule still apply? I thought it was 15kg per person now.

I do think you are right on the matter though. That is an ample amount of fillets per person to take home. I once saw a party of Germans loading their trailer with cod fillets. The cod they had caught were mainly under sized too.
20kgs at present mate

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Am sure we've all heard the stories of refrigerated vans loaded to the roof with fillets and more recently occasionally a few seem to be being caught at the border and heavily fined. Good! I expect resources aren't available to check every vehicle so some will continue to take a chance and most will get away with it. The camps are able to police it but if it meant losing a lot of business, not to mention personal risk of verbal /physical abuse from groups who don't like being told they cannot keep any more fish then you can understand why they turn a blind eye. They could of course tip off customs with vehicle registration info and departure date. The fisheries could also carry out spot checks at the camps on day before change over which would spot excessive limit breaches and encourage the camps to carry out spot checks as well as the clients realising they could be caught and so less likely to really take the P!55.

Only allowing fish to be taken from registered camps would help. Reducing the limit would too and having seen the way some just take the loins I can fully see why they are considering banning fillets and allow you to just taking the fish whole, minus the head. Not sure how that will work with halibut though. My guess is probably Norway will apply a ban at some point like Iceland has on fishing for and taking halibut fillets. But will implementing these two measures impact significantly on business? I don't think it would stop of lot of the UK fishermen going but we are probably a small % compared to other nationalities and I think a reasonable number of them would be deterred. Not a bad thing in my eyes but not good if you run a fishing camp in Norway which is only open for about 6 months of the year and the local shops also will lose business.

Getting rid of the freezer rooms could be the nuclear option but I think that would heavily hit the fishing camps bookings. I do like to bring fillets back but I'd still go to Norway to fish even if you couldn't bring any fish back.

Who on this forum would stop going if you couldn't bring any fish back?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Am sure we've all heard the stories of refrigerated vans loaded to the roof with fillets and more recently occasionally a few seem to be being caught at the border and heavily fined. Good! I expect resources aren't available to check every vehicle so some will continue to take a chance and most will get away with it. The camps are able to police it but if it meant losing a lot of business, not to mention personal risk of verbal /physical abuse from groups who don't like being told they cannot keep any more fish then you can understand why they turn a blind eye. They could of course tip off customs with vehicle registration info and departure date. The fisheries could also carry out spot checks at the camps on day before change over which would spot excessive limit breaches and encourage the camps to carry out spot checks as well as the clients realising they could be caught and so less likely to really take the P!55.

Only allowing fish to be taken from registered camps would help. Reducing the limit would too and having seen the way some just take the loins I can fully see why they are considering banning fillets and allow you to just taking the fish whole, minus the head. Not sure how that will work with halibut though. My guess is probably Norway will apply a ban at some point like Iceland has on fishing for and taking halibut fillets. But will implementing these two measures impact significantly on business? I don't think it would stop of lot of the UK fishermen going but we are probably a small % compared to other nationalities and I think a reasonable number of them would be deterred. Not a bad thing in my eyes but not good if you run a fishing camp in Norway which is only open for about 6 months of the year and the local shops also will lose business.

Getting rid of the freezer rooms could be the nuclear option but I think that would heavily hit the fishing camps bookings. I do like to bring fillets back but I'd still go to Norway to fish even if you couldn't bring any fish back.

Who on this forum would stop going if you couldn't bring any fish back?
Wouldn’t bother me Nigel, I go for the fishing not a box full of fish!

I agree it’s unlikely the camp owners would be prepared to police it they would essentially be annoying potential future customers and losing business.

I asked a camp owner about it and he was rather nonchalant saying rod caught fish were the tip of the iceberg compared to the trawlers.

I personally have seen the huge amount of fish 3 rods can bring to the boat in a good week in Norway and if you multiply this by the number of fisherman in the number of camps over a 4-6 month period I can’t believe this is an insignificant number of fish. And I’ve seen some crews fishing in shifts so the boats are out almost 24 hours a day. They can fill a camper van and a huge trailer full of fillets

And the consensus on this forum is that the fishing in the fjords isn’t what it used to be....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your carefully thought out replies. i think this is going to be an ongoing situation.
Yes there are many who take far more than they should - some polish friends who camp on their way here noticed that most of the shoreline and fjordside camping places were unusually empty the last time restrictions began - i hear stories of families whose idea of a holliday is to go to a camping place and use nets the entire holliday - they regard it as work. They sell the fish for far more than the cost of the holliday.
But from the articles i read in the Norwegian press the worst is several groups of Norwegians who annualy go to the same place with a freezer lorry and they do fill it. They cant be stopped because they are norwegian and dont export the fish.
The locals are really upset because they care for the fishing grounds and they just trash them.
The german fish toursim is big business with several massive fishing clubs owning large houses and old hotels - from what i hear from our national news service some groups of fishermen send through customs points individuals with small amounts if fish, if they are inspected then no one else goes through - but it would not surprise me if someone provided a service for those wishing to export fish illegally - large freezer transporter going backwards and forwards from norway carrying fish for a fee?
Its not a nice situation and could effect us all badly especially those who make the annual pilgrimmage.
Hmmmm - anyone any ideas?
Possibly a register of amateur fishermen who take the pledge?
Hmm i wonder if you could buy your own fillets.
Pay a small fee to a fish handlers - interesting idea - could be done with a mobile phone and a camp official - then you could concivebly export as much as you want.
In fact that would provide an interesting soloution - the fish would be inspected - they would be paid, you would get a export licence - comments?
if the fisherman was a sports fisher then the fee could reflect that.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It sounds like the Norwegian government might need to consider licensing commercial (net) fishing if not already the case. I'm not sure an export license to take larger quantities of fish out of the Norway would work too well. Those who flaunt the rules will probably continue to do so whilst the odds of them getting caught are low. Would they be prepared to pay as this will reduce their profits?

I'm sure over the years as Norwegian fish stocks dwindle, like they have in the UK and most places around the world, you'll start to see more pressure to further restrict recreational anglers, both domestic and foreign, with smaller quotas and bans on certain fish. However, that's all well a good but if the commercials also aren't adequately restricted with their quotas then the fish stocks will continue to dwindle. Unfortunately supply and demand will maintain the market for fish as whilst catches decrease the higher price they will command will make it profitable for the commercials to continue to fish until the tipping point is reached. If Not having a pop at the commercials, they are just making a living and like most people they are trying to earn as much as they can to have a comfortable life for their families.

Reduced demand is probably the only thing that will save fish stocks (and other wildlife) but as the human population continues to spiral that is just not going to happen.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Yes, it seems a lot do ignore the rules.
Its a catch 22 for the professional fish camps. Enforce the rules and potentially loose customers or ignore what is happening and watch the fish stocks dwindle.

Im all for seeing a well managed fishery, but common sense must also play its part.
How many of these fish bought up from depths of 100mt plus are going to survive if they are released?

From a personal view/action, when I fish in Norway I have adapted my methods to improve C&R.
I will not fish excessively deep marks.
I return nearly all lip hooked fish.
I return nearly all fish over 10Lbs.
I now use a pennel rig with a circle hook as the top hook. Since doing this, I would say that 80+% of the fish are now lip hooked. We did try using a single circle but found hook ups to bites dropped to unacceptable levels. By using a J hook to mount the bait, the circle then seemed to work a lot better.
In all the years I have fished Norway, I have never taken my 20Kg limit. To be honest, the only reason I bring fish back is because 1): cod are extinct here in the south east. 2): Species like Haddock and Coalfish are not caught here in the south east. 3): I see no point in returning dead fish or deep hooked fish that have a poor chance of surviving.

It would be interesting to see how the Norwegian authorities are going to police this. I am guessing that most 'stolen' fish are taken by road?

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Further to my 1st post and maybe a bit controversial.

If you are needing to bring back such vast amounts of fish to sell or justify the trip, then maybe, the trip is actually beyond you financial means?
No one has a right to everything they want. They have to work hard to afford what they want.
We as RSA fish for enjoyment. The fact that we can bring home a sustain-ably caught fish is an added bonus. If it is anything other than this, you are in effect, a commercial fisherman.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Taking >20Kg fish breaches Norway's regulations and selling it (black market) I'm sure will be in breach of the regulations of the country in which it is being sold. Not so sure that this is the only way they can afford the trip. Might be for some but I bet a lot are just looking to make a fast buck and don't need the funds to pay for the trip. No different to smuggling **** or booze and selling on, ranging from individuals to vast organised crime gangs.

My advice is make the most of what fishing is available whilst you can!

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
Just an observation . Over the past 11 years of holidaying/fishing in Norway..I have noticed that there are MANY crews that kill ALL the fish they catch Regardless of size/species. Apparently it is illegal for them to return any fish once caught. They apply this doctrine be it Coarse/Game/Or Sea. Because they think it is the normal way to do things. Not pointing fingers here...But it is Not the U.K. Ok anglers from over here like to take our allowance But it is Not compulsory. Lots of us practice catch and release when possible. Taking care to bring a big cod up from the depths and allowing it to release it's air from the swim bladder before landing it takes a bit of skill in itself.

The same applies to the bigger Coalfish. Of course we all like a Trophy shot ..But do you really need to drag a Massive fish onboard the boat just to prove what a big man you are.?. Especially with the big Halibut. Normal procedure is to gaff them through the mouth AND then tail them with a noose. Thus being able to measure them and get an approximate weight. And then RELEASE them.

Watching people filleting 10 inch Haddock/coalfish/codling ..really makes my blood boil. Especially when there are posters put up outside the filleting sheds telling them NOT to take small fish as they are the future breeding stock.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Interesting that it appears from comments from anglers recently visiting Iceland that there you have to pay to have your fish filleted and I would expect the professional camps will enforce that. Got to admire the Icelanders for their stance in the cod war in the 7o's and they must off got p155ed off with wastage with loins only being taken and small fish being killed and decided to take action. Seems the Norwegian's are at last waking up to this problem. As Nick said above, I don't think the majority of the UK anglers actions have lead to the Norwegians find themselves having to consider making changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve only been to Norway myself 3 times! Skjervoy being the location! Me and the group on the boat each day would take a decent size fish for tea ! And put the rest back !! On all 3 occasions it’s the European folk absolutely rinsing the place ! Some of the fish they take aren’t worth filleting !!!

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Being a regular to Norway I've seen fish stealing going on at every camp I've been to, also there are size limits in effect, but they also go out of the window at most camps, so the Camp Owners are not doing enough checking and the culprits are those anglers who drive to the camps, and straightway I would be pointing fingers at the Germans, Fins, Russians and the Baltics, they all take way more than they are entitled to as well as undersized fish and I've reported many of them to the Norwegian border control as the anglers are leaving the camp, but the Camp Owners really need to be checking any anglers who leave by car/van, in fact I think that all the camps should be licensed and a condition of the license should be compulsory checking of the fish that all anglers leaving are taking with them, especially as the new system of registering your catch each day is a farce.

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
Just to add another pi55take. Had 5 kilo of vacuum packed Wolf fish fillets stored in the freezer room at one of the fish camps.
All labeled with my name and chalet number on the packages. They were stolen from me by persons unknown.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
frankly i dont think our polititians are going to do anything for quite some time - theres simply not enough money in it.
However ideas will be passed on.
I was out at one of my best fishing places some 15 days ago - no tourist fishers for many months and it was full of fish, and the fish were full.
My catch was mostly from trolling but every time it was full house.
April the first tourists arrive and they are at the most popular places - some have taken to following me now as the most known places empty out nearly completely.
it is difficult to think rationally about this as so many fish are undersized.
However there are some well known fishing areas some 18 kilometers out which i have never tried - that may be out of reach for tourists but a 2 hour journey for me each way.
The boat is comfortable - nice steerhouse with a very efficient diesel burning stove - cabin in front - sometimes i see the fishermen "suffering"discomfort from the wind and waves so perhaps i should not be so angry.

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
frankly i dont think our polititians are going to do anything for quite some time - theres simply not enough money in it.
However ideas will be passed on.
I was out at one of my best fishing places some 15 days ago - no tourist fishers for many months and it was full of fish, and the fish were full.
My catch was mostly from trolling but every time it was full house.
April the first tourists arrive and they are at the most popular places - some have taken to following me now as the most known places empty out nearly completely.
it is difficult to think rationally about this as so many fish are undersized.
However there are some well known fishing areas some 18 kilometers out which i have never tried - that may be out of reach for tourists but a 2 hour journey for me each way.
The boat is comfortable - nice steerhouse with a very efficient diesel burning stove - cabin in front - sometimes i see the fishermen "suffering"discomfort from the wind and waves so perhaps i should not be so angry.
Hyse, always good to get a locals view on things.

With reference to your comment that "I don't think our politicians are going to do anything for quite some time - there's simply not enough money in it", this would be very short sighted of your politicians as even if there is no money in it, there is plenty of money to be lost by allowing their rich fisheries to collapse because they didn't want to do anything about it and they will be the first to complain if there are no more anglers contributing to tourism

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hyse, always good to get a locals view on things.

With reference to your comment that "I don't think our politicians are going to do anything for quite some time - there's simply not enough money in it", this would be very short sighted of your politicians as even if there is no money in it, there is plenty of money to be lost by allowing their rich fisheries to collapse because they didn't want to do anything about it and they will be the first to complain if there are no more anglers contributing to tourism
the polititians i have spoken to seem to be perfect studies of what i think about them.
The people who are hit by this are locals, not big fishing concerns - just a little example of how norwegian politics are - the premiere marine research organization in norway is called the havsforskningsinstitut - they are used by the state to oversee our marine life - a few years ago the leader/director was also the owner of leroy marine salmon farms.
Nealy all our major polititians have at one time or another worked for first house pr beauro.
Our current defence minister worked in the us senate for nearly a year - just makes me itch thinking about it - we are so pure
However the polititians do get about - couple of years ago i went to a museum opening - sat at a table and all of a sudden there was a cufuffle and the next thing the prime minister of Norway was sitting beside me - i was gatecrashing so that was even more fun

1 - 20 of 23 Posts