World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
hope you may be able to help me. Over the winter possibly due to lack of use the steering on my boat seized. My boat is a 17 ft shetland with 60hp engine. I thought the problem would be where the steering cable rod went through the hole in the outboard mount which proved correct. I was wondering how to prevent the same happening again so I am requesting any advice on what works ie lubricants to use (Oil, WD40, grease)

Thanks

peter

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Wurth 2000 spray grease is what I use on my steering cable. Turn the steering so the cable is all the way out, clean off the stainless rod and give it a dose os Wurth wind it back in and repeat.

When you store the boat next winter give it the Wurth treatment and then wind the steering tube right in. dose the joint between engine and steering with a normal grease to create a waterproof joint and wind a bit of rag around it. This will stop any water getting in there during winter.

The only bit of stainless is the bit you can see, the inner and outer cable are all mild steel, you need to stop the water getting in there, Wurth is the best I have found to stop this, it goes on really thin but when the solvent evaporates it leaves a mega sticky grease which has penetrated everything.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Wurth ; Brilliant stuff used it for years but ...mega sticky grease which has penetrated everything as Chris said, so don't wipe your hands on your trousers or T shirt as I did 15 years ago. I am still getting bullocked for it even these days!

Afishionado

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heavy duty White grease!

WD40 etc... all do wash off eventually, and are more suited to bike chains and shed doors, get yoruself a real big tub of white grease and keep slappin it on and working it in....

Worth stuff is also good, apply as above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts