World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just got a new powerstik.

The joints are very stiff. Very hard to get the rod together, yet alone get apart.

Thinking of using some kind of oil to get the rod together/apart.

Good idea? or would that damage the rod?

Got a general type 3 in 1 oil in house and baby oil.

Any tips?

Sawfish

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Do not oil the joints or sand them down - this is a fatal mistake. If the joints are stiff try rubbing candle wax lightly onto the joint. If you have problems pulling the rod apart still then perhaps you need to use it more as it will loosten over time. To pull rods apart best when stuck make small circular twists whilst pulling the tip away from the but (best done with the help of a friend).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks instinct

The rod is brand new - just very hard to get the bits together. sure it will loosen with time but my last rod was not like that - it fitted a bit better from the start.

I wont use oil. Will any type of candle wax do?

Cheers

Sawfish

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi sawfish, had same problem with my powerstix and also my CME. Gary from penn sent me a pm............i cleaned off spigot and socket and used petroleum jelly............not much.........and eased the 2 halves together...........it took a few times to get the spigot into the socket safely and with an easy removal but it's fine now, had to do same with my CME...........

Tight lines.

Steve

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Hi sawfish, had same problem with my powerstix and also my CME. Gary from penn sent me a pm............i cleaned off spigot and socket and used petroleum jelly............not much.........and eased the 2 halves together...........it took a few times to get the spigot into the socket safely and with an easy removal but it's fine now, had to do same with my CME...........

Tight lines.

Steve
Yeh well I aint carrying a jar of vasaline when I go fishing ! I ended up fishing a well known 'outdoor pursuits venue' last year, what sort of message would I be giving out ? ( cheers thats a great excuse to carry it ! PMSL )
I rubbed graphite from a soft pencil, now I have lug under my nails and black hands, thanx will try the clear option.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers runnerman

If Gary from penn said petro jelly is ok then may try that.

Is that that KY stuff?

Least I'd have a good excuse going into the chemist to buy it.
Me "It so I can get my spiggot into the socket of my fishing rod" :unsure:
Chemist "Aye lad, I've heard it before" :g:

Cheers

Sawfish

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get your wife to buy it to avoid anybody casting aspertions about your sexuality.
Or you could say ''It's not for me,,,, honest, it's for my boyfriend!''
LOL!:) Imagine the look on the chemists face then!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had the same problem with my century Ccc, its was hard to put together then once it was together it was almost impossible to take apart. But i found an article on myfishcasting.org , that advises to use a small amount of grease on the male end and a small amount inside the female end and slowly rotate the joints together untill you get a perfect fit.

heres the link http://myfishcasting.org/TCN/?page_id=9

go to the bottom of the page where it says joint control and follow the instructions

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hate to spoil sallysludgebucket's ideal day out.....but for the CME I actually used Subaru grease.......not quite as evocative as fruit flavoured vaseline......but the sound of a turbo CME is pretty awe-inspiring!!

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts