1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bonjour mes amigos!
Question :
How come i can catch a couple of fish, same size/species/time,etc..yet:
by time i get home some have rigor mortis (que 'stiff' jokes:laugh:!)..and some haven't?
Have I not 'despatched' them quick enough and let them suffocate?:uhoh:

and while i'm here..are you supposed to return GGs or is it ok to introduce them to to an oven?
i caught one by accident (whilst trying to clear the incoming tide of any weed) and it was very good indeed..and that's with my culinary capabilities limited to foil/butter/pepper!!

haven't posted much before..primarily due to not wanting to hold the dubious honor of highest number of 'blank' fishing reports posted!:doh:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
The stiffy usually comes about when the fish dries out (i have found). If I'm gonna take a fish for the pot (rare), what I do is wrap it in a tea-toel thats been soaked in the sea. I find this keeps the fish wet, and prevents it getting stiff.
No stiffy jokes from me, although I was tempted, it's just that I crack so many jokes, I just couldnt keep it up.......................:oops:

·
Registered
601 Posts
bonjour mes amigos!
Question :
How come i can catch a couple of fish, same size/species/time,etc..yet:
by time i get home some have rigor mortis (que 'stiff' jokes:laugh:!)..and some haven't?
Have I not 'despatched' them quick enough and let them suffocate?:uhoh:

and while i'm here..are you supposed to return GGs or is it ok to introduce them to to an oven?
i caught one by accident (whilst trying to clear the incoming tide of any weed) and it was very good indeed..and that's with my culinary capabilities limited to foil/butter/pepper!!

haven't posted much before..primarily due to not wanting to hold the dubious honor of highest number of 'blank' fishing reports posted!:doh:

Hi mate,

to start with i doubt youv blanked as many times as i have if you have then you really should think of giving it up. lol

seriously from what iv read its always good to keep the fish moist when on route home in what ever way poss as OHTer said. although i did have some live sandeels a few weeks ago that were stored in a cool bag with a pump and when it came to freezing the dead ones down some were stiff some not so stiff. so im also a little unsure of why it happens as the eels had all been in same place for same time.

ill look forward to the rest of the replies mate sorry i cant help anymore. :fishing1:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops..slightly misleading mentioning GGs in same question!!

Was referring to the plague of whiting earlier in the year...after popping 'em back in and observing their less than enthusiastic efforts to stay alive (washing about belly up) I thought I may as well stop throwing them back and take some home..which is when I noticed some gone rigid, some like they'd just come out of the water - yet caught within the hour and stored in the same bag?

Won't take whiting home again though...bleugh!!
If you can't eat it as a piece of fish on a plate (as it comes) as against disguising it by mashing with potato and herbs to make it pallatable then (imo) best it goes back into the ecosystem...seagulls welcome to it! Would rather see them swim rather than float away tho!

Thanks for 'keeping em fresh' tips tho :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
oops..slightly misleading mentioning GGs in same question!!

Was referring to the plague of whiting earlier in the year...after popping 'em back in and observing their less than enthusiastic efforts to stay alive (washing about belly up) I thought I may as well stop throwing them back and take some home..which is when I noticed some gone rigid, some like they'd just come out of the water - yet caught within the hour and stored in the same bag?

Won't take whiting home again though...bleugh!!
If you can't eat it as a piece of fish on a plate (as it comes) as against disguising it by mashing with potato and herbs to make it pallatable then (imo) best it goes back into the ecosystem...seagulls welcome to it! Would rather see them swim rather than float away tho!

Thanks for 'keeping em fresh' tips tho :)
Best to try and not touch them that much and if possible don't touch them at all with the use of a disgorger at the shoreline!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know what you mean about handling...i manage to get most things returned happily swimming back to the depths, just to me whiting seem to give up far easier than most - lively enough in the hand but get em back in the water and they just...stop!!

Anywayz...drifting slightly off topic here! The question remains...
Why do some caught go into rigor mortis and some stay pliant?
given :-
same species
same trip
same time caught
same size
same storage till home
same everything

C'mon guys..admit it..you've googled it and can't find an answer:blink:
A retired coroner pops into my local sometimes...will attempt to introduce topic to conversation. Might think i'm takin the proverbial though!!:wacko:

·
Team Saltist
1,175 Posts
The stiffy usually comes about when the fish dries out (i have found). If I'm gonna take a fish for the pot (rare), what I do is wrap it in a tea-toel thats been soaked in the sea. I find this keeps the fish wet, and prevents it getting stiff.
No stiffy jokes from me, although I was tempted, it's just that I crack so many jokes, I just couldnt keep it up.......................:oops:
OOOOOHHH CHAMPION:oops:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aw cmon lads!
plenty of jokes to be had, but does any of yuz got an answer..or at least a theory pertaing to the original question?
I 've been drinking Thathcher's 'Katy' down my local and I now believe that all fish came from space anywayz!!:roll1::laugh::roll1::drunk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts