World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am after a bit of advice.............

I currently use a green abu hellbender m, and am looking into getting myself another rod to use towards the end of the year when the weather turns.
I havent got a huge amount of money to spend, with £180 probably the absolute limit, but not worried about looking about for a decent cond second hand rod if sombody could reccomend one.
What im after is something to match up with a penn 525 supermag, which will cast 6oz (maybe 7oz if needed) with bait quite a way out, but with a bit of sensitivity in the tip, as will be used over mainly clean ground, but with some quite strong tides, and mud ledges to contend with.
Have had a look around but found so many adds and reviews it boggles the mind, so could anybody share a bit of advice?????:thumbs:

ps did have a look at an abu suveran sx in a tackle shop the other day, but after having the xp version which i found had absolutely pants bite detection and way ott for around here, i wasnt sure. :g:

·
Banned
67 Posts
Are you saying the XP was TOO much rod? Was gonna say I got a carbon metal crest if yr interested, but if the XP was too much.....though the crest does have a great tip, and being C curve, aint too difficult to put a bend in
Pretty sure the SX (though it has been discontinued a while now) was lighter/softer than the XP :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
iv just got my self a reelsport response and greys apollo mark1 both in great condition the response was 130 and the apollo was 70 any of them would handle what ever u throw at them. the response has a little soft butt but not to soft the tip is very stiff though these rods are built on century blanks from reelsport in tyne and wear so you might not have heard of it but i love mine. iv just got the apollo to abuse on the rough stuff the butt is very stiff same with the tip and it was cheap enougth i use both them with my 525 mag and couldnt go wrong. i find my tip tornado sport to soft just sits gathering dust

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Greys Apollo m2 you ll get one cheap now awsome rods for big tides ect that's why I bought one stiff action but a nice fishing tip

·
Registered
217 Posts
What im after is something to match up with a penn 525 supermag, which will cast 6oz (maybe 7oz if needed) with bait quite a way out, but with a bit of sensitivity in the tip, as will be used over mainly clean ground, but with some quite strong tides, and mud ledges to contend with.
It's a trade-off really. If you're fishing mainly clean ground you don't really need a beast along the lines of an Apollo MK1. etc. If you're blasting a bait out into a strong tide with too stiff a rod the chances are your sinker won't hold.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The XP wasnt too much rod to be able to use, it was just a bit overkill used in the thames along where i live. It did holld up to a strong tide quite well, and could cast well into strong wind, but in my opinion i felt it was a bit ott for the areas i fish and where it was quite stiff the bite detection was pants.

There are so many different rods about, but i cant find out about many that cast well into rough weather with 6/7oz plus bait but are supple enough in the tip to show bites from smallish fish at quite a range out (150yds ish), and be able to handle strong spring tides. Rough ground type rods will do the job as far as the casting weight/weather goes i would have thought, but not many say about bite sensitivity in the specs/adverts.

Im guessing that a good stiff rod with a fast action/supple tip and stiff butt along the lines of a daiwa tdxs is looking like the tool for the job then???

Time to sart saving up then, as i have short arms and deep pockets :fishing:

Thanks for the points guys :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Cono-Flex Nemisis Plus SLR, cracker of a rod

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
AFAW Six and Bait!! Will handle the Bristol channel, very similar conditions to the area you describe, maybe more tide!. You can get the new ones with fuji rings for as little as 130 if you shop around and there are some older (non fuji) around for about 100 quid. will handle upto 8oz (or 6 and Big Baits) easy to cast, fairly good bite detection. Superb Blank available in 12, 13 and 14ft. cast a fair way too.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just started using a greys nitra, he's a dazzler and good bite detection too, saw the rattle from a weever fish the other night at 100 yards.................

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
greys apollo nothing else comes close

i had a new slr plus didnt think it was much cop myself , mr seafish lol got it now probably stripped down isit kev

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have a bit of a liking for ABU tackle (Rods aswell as the reels). Does anybody know what the new Atlantic rods are like, in particular the 484 i think (the 5-6oz stiffer rod)??? Any idea what the bite detection is like on these, only there was a review of the new rods in SeaDangler a couple of months ago, but what they say in tackle reviews personally i think should be taken with a pinch of salt due to the fact they never have a bad word to say about any tackle at all.

C

·
0 Posts
I do have a bit of a liking for ABU tackle (Rods aswell as the reels). Does anybody know what the new Atlantic rods are like, in particular the 484 i think (the 5-6oz stiffer rod)??? Any idea what the bite detection is like on these, only there was a review of the new rods in SeaDangler a couple of months ago, but what they say in tackle reviews personally i think should be taken with a pinch of salt due to the fact they never have a bad word to say about any tackle at all.
What's the point of asking a question and then just saying that you actually prefer ABUs? What I can tell you is that the ABU rods won't be a patch on the Conoflex ones. Why didn't you just title it it, which ABU rod should I buy for rough weather?

T

·
0 Posts
The 464 Atlantic is pretty stiff, i find them good rods but hard work, 6 oz is a minimum on them, I use them for rough ground work, they are very capable rods, very well built and rung with Fuji's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts