World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone heard of or caught a stingray out of Penarth? im asking because i think we hooked one yesterday! it was charcoal to black coloured on top and white underneath, it must of been 35lb plus. unfortunately it snapped off at the side of the boat before we could land it.
regards Mark

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
ive seen a pic of one caught off the white light in barry! so its quite possible it was a stingray.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
used to catch them often this time of the year, they must come inshore to lay their purses, had a couple of 50lbs off aberthaw, also caught one near castle rock of the knap, some silly buggers still mutilate them:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Two stingers that I've seen were both caught at Porthkerry at high water in July 1976,on 2 consecutive days,neither caught by me unfortunately.My mate's one weighed 21lb on crab and the one caught the next day weighed 30lb caught on squid by a cockney from Butlins.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Yes mate a few have come from the white light fishing into Jacksons bay.
Would love one myself!
Tightlines..........
now maybe the time to get down there pete! i may give it a go next week!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If i can i will join you there next week!
Tightlines............
that would be nice, you will have to go down the break water and unhook my snagged trace though(broken foot).......lol, i should be alright down there.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
i have seen photos of them, in fish - a - mania tackle shop off the whitelight and heard of them coming off porthkery and the knap so i would say you could of lost one mate - unlucky.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seen one of 46lb caught from Sully Bay on the boat. ONLY time I have heard a guy beg for the fish to be landed as he was so knackered.

LUCKY Bugger caught a Bass of 10lb + a couple of casts later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts