World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.....been doing some net searching today for ..lures etc..to enhance my boating pleasure and to bring me up to spec with others....i have been looking into getting some 2 tails and strings of sandeels and jelly worms... i never realised that there were so many variables..i have some cash to splash as i need to do some shopping.any good lure/plastic sites links i could check out..been on the big e site..

any pointers to what i need again....going to stock up ..cheers andy

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
hi.....been doing some net searching today for ..lures etc..to enhance my boating pleasure and to bring me up to spec with others....i have been looking into getting some 2 tails and strings of sandeels and jelly worms... i never realised that there were so many variables..i have some cash to splash as i need to do some shopping.any good lure/plastic sites links i could check out..been on the big e site..

I can see more useless [email protected] heading your tackle box way !!:doh:

Alan

G

·
Dont buy the cheapest lures that you can find! Get some 1 & 2oz leadheads and tiger twin tails for hopping, Tempest sidewinders and holographic sandeels, a selection of 4" shads in various colours, and a few jellyworms also in various colours. The dark ones with bright tails often work well.
They will also work better with the proper hooks, like these from Uk Hooks.

Also get yourself some treble hooks in a suitable size for livebaiting.
Many of the items above are available from UK Hooks

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Andy,buy some trebles for livebaiting and save your money.If you have to buy any lures storm shads will catch as well as anything else but not inside 8 miles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Dont buy the cheapest lures that you can find! Get some 1oz leadheads and tiger twin tails for hopping, Tempest sidewinders and holographic sandeels, a selection of 4" shads in various colours, and a few jellyworms also in various colours. The dark ones with bright tails often work well.
They will also work better with the proper hooks, like these from Uk Hooks.

Many of the items above are available for UK Hooks
Will he need all of those to catch pout?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Andy,buy some trebles for livebaiting and save your money.If you have to buy any lures storm shads will catch as well as anything else but not inside 8 miles.
Is this true of places other than the south coast?
What alternatives are there when a mackeral is a little OTT?
Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Is this true of places other than the south coast?
What alternatives are there when a mackeral is a little OTT?
Cheers,
Geoff
Seek out local knowledge of were you fish is the best answer.
The close in wrecks were we are mainly hold small pollack with the odd one at 10lb+ at certain times of the year.
If it`s Bass you are after then livebait is the way to go and small pout is the next best thing to a small Joey if you want one a decent size.

Alan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Don`t forget the old Red Gill....

It`s just as good as any lure you can get.

Alan

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Could you use andy as live bait??size 16/0 hooked in the lip!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Seek out local knowledge of were you fish is the best answer.
The close in wrecks were we are mainly hold small pollack with the odd one at 10lb+ at certain times of the year.
If it`s Bass you are after then livebait is the way to go and small pout is the next best thing to a small Joey if you want one a decent size.

Alan
Thanks again Alan.
Geoff

·
Registered
842 Posts

You ain't never going to get a decent boat if you keep wasting your money!!!

Alot of lures on the market are designed to catch fishermen rather than fish!!!!

Chers Ian

G

·
You need a good selection of Legend Lures from our very own WSF living legend, charter skipper, Roddy Hayes. Google Legend Lures and get a good selection of those. Also invest in a decent set of Pakula's. Google Peter Pakula, but the "Rat and the Sprocket" are two of my favourites.
Failing both of the above Bonze Lures aren't bad and Bonze himself will be over in Warsash (near Southampton) doing his skippers ticket in August. You could google him, send him an email and ask him to bring a few with him when comes over.

All of the above will easily troll at up to 10 knots.

Tom

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You don't need trebles for livebaiting - a 5/0 varivas big mouth/sakuma manta/razorclaw bigbend in the mouth and up through the nose in front of the eyes works perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts