World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished by Alverstoke East car park from 3pm to 7:30pm (HW was 8pm). Quite blowy to start and didn't have a bite until 4:30pm then had a bite every cast until 6:00pm. Ended up with 5 bream up to just sizeable using rag on a 3 hook flapper rig (size 1) fished 120 yds out. All were returned alive.

The wind died down around 5:00pm and I had no problems with weed until 6:30pm so up to then, a plain 6oz lead held bottom fine but I switched to a gripper for the last hour or so when the weed became more of an issue as the tide started to push through more strongly.

At around 5:30pm, I had a huge take (the rod nearly got pulled off my tripod) and I hit into something that really motored off. After a 10 minute fight during which it took line on a couple of short runs (I used a Penn 525 with 18lb mainline on a Suveran RX beachcaster), I finally got it to the surface about 5 yds out (my tapered shock leader knot was on the reel so I was feeling pretty confident), a nice smut at least 8lb but it rolled right in front of me and the 30lb snood parted, it was shredded to bits! I was gutted as it would have been my season's shore best. Still, it was nice to have something that pulled back for a change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts