World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning campers - myself and Tony t had a wee run up stonehaven way yesterday and took a march down to a cliff mark i have fished in the past.
When we got there we found we had quite an audience..

So got set up and away we went,, nothing happening at all in the first 2 hrs, Tony was fishing 1 rod on the ledger while i had a float rod out as well as my ledger. Tony eventually had a knock but missed him, then i missed a bite on the ledger also, decided to change the float over to a helicopter rig with a 1/0 hook. First cast with that and into a fish.... and a snag.lol.. lost the lot. then next cast and into a small saithe...

Nothing huge but blank off,,,, in-between all this i stepped back into a rockpool up past the wellies.lol.. what an erse. Had another good bite on the wee rod again and brought in a wee codling..

Things looking up.... Tony not having any luck and was tired so went for a kip, my big rod lunged over and resulted in my biggest saithe of the day say about 1 1/4 lb...

Had a few other bites that came to nowt, so packed up about 5.15pm and found i had caught my smallest saithe of the day.lol..

So the long journey home with some smallish fish for my efforts and an unfortunate blank for Tony ( bout time ).lol..
Heres another couple o pics..

Tony with high hopes...

And a view of the mark ( no big secret )

So no big fish this time but a good day out and some fish... best bait was ragworm/lugworm/mackie cocktail....

G

·
Have you have a degree in rock climbing lo...l how do yous get to bits like that (harnesses). Well done on your day out ;o)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol... aye Pauline, its a bit of a trek through fields and a rather steep climb, but well worth it for the scenery,wildlife, and even the odd fish. Not for dodgy tickers though..

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Good report and pic's findus :thumbs:

Not a bad looking mark and with the weather being so good aswell..........great stuff.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
what no wrasse then findus
1 or 2 wee coalies and wee coddie to make your day never seen you on the rock when i was out on a wee boat but then i wasn't any further up than catterline (that's a story to be told later)

i'm going to take to the catterline rocks on the in coming tide tonight
for a little wrasse bash

your wee coalie didn't beat my wee pollack

well in my man

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what no wrasse then findus
1 or 2 wee coalies and wee coddie to make your day never seen you on the rock when i was out on a wee boat but then i wasn't any further up than catterline (that's a story to be told later)

i'm going to take to the catterline rocks on the in coming tide tonight
for a little wrasse bash

your wee coalie didn't beat my wee pollack

well in my man
Aha udderman - was thinking about you yesterday when we passed signs for catterline on the way home. Seen lots of fields and farmyards and wondered if any of them were your workplace.
Hope the wrasse bashing comes good tonight....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice report Findus, that mark looks very promising. I take it your fishing into deep water there.
Pity there were no biggies but always next time. :thumbs:
Was out mackie bashing last night and managed to get a few more for the freezer. :happy:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you have a degree in rock climbing lo...l how do yous get to bits like that (harnesses). Well done on your day out ;o)
That`s what the helicopter rig is for, simply cast it up into the sky at the top of the cliff and hover down to the shoreline safe`n`sound.

Findus
Good report, nice pics, that spot looked worth a deep spin with sandeel or jellies.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
great pics m8, :thumbs:

well done on yer catch,:clap: its not like tony too blank either , his beginners luck must be running out,
it gets harder for him from now on :D.

it looks like ye fished low tide,( looking at the tidal marks on the rocks ) maybe worth a bash on high into darkness .

certainly looks a cracking area for fishing.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Looks like you had a fantastic day for it mate! Cool specs BTW :D

As Andy says, Tony must be reaching the stage of an experienced angler now that he's starting to blank!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great pics m8, :thumbs:

well done on yer catch,:clap: its not like tony too blank either , his beginners luck must be running out,
it gets harder for him from now on :D.

it looks like ye fished low tide,( looking at the tidal marks on the rocks ) maybe worth a bash on high into darkness .

certainly looks a cracking area for fishing.
Aye Andy - low tide was 11.30am , 1 hour after we started. we started getting bites well into the flood and up to high tide. Was hoping for a pollack on float fished ragworm but the wind got up a bit so switched over to a light ledger tactic instead.
As you know im not that keen on spinning artificials so just stuck to the bait fishing.
As you and pondlife stated , Tony's luck is maybe running out, mind you he only had the 1 rod so a slight disadvantage..
So you like the cool shades eh pondlife.lol.. deffo not a summer person, need to get back in my floaty and hide my fleshy parts.lol..

Markm: aye mate it is deepwater there, seen some nice fish come from that area.... hopefully manage one more sesh somewhere before i go back to work, but think it will probably be local..

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oops:crazy: They looked like pollack to me, can you not eat them?

Steven
They do look a bit like pollack but the pollack has a slight curve in the lateral line above the pectoral fin,, also the lower jaw protrudes slightly more in a pollack.
Some people dont like the taste of saithe, but deep fried in breadcrumbs they are actually not too bad, much prefer cod though...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts