World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lovely calm few days and nights, Tuesday rolled around again and brought with it SSW winds gusting to 30mph+, along with a band of rain for good measure, nothing new there then! :rolleyess: After changing my mind twice last week about which venue to fish, I wasn’t about to make the same mistake again and I was determined to stick to plan A no matter what. I also had another reason for returning to that particular mark, on October 16th 2017, almost a year to the day ago, I had lost what felt like the biggest bass I’ve ever hooked at the very same spot, when she set off on an unstoppable run and snagged me around a rock :cry:. I hoped that being creatures of habit, she would be back for another visit to beautiful North Wales :sneaky:.

After a dry but overcast day, the skies darkened ominously just as I packed the car but by the time I drove off it was still dry, at least for a couple of miles, all too soon though I saw the first drops of rain land on my windscreen :(. The rest of the journey was dark and wet with lots of spray but though it was pretty miserable, I felt surprisingly confident. When I arrived at my destination it was still raining, but at least it was a mild evening and with the rain due to stop by about 10pm, I felt sure I would be ok.

The walk to the coast was a short one and after a brief stop on the way for a few casts around a rocky outcrop surrounded by clean sandy ground, where I found the wind to be blowing straight along the shore I pressed on to my real first choice mark. The ground there consisted of clean sand again, but being alongside a large patch of rough ground, this time it was interspersed with large weed covered boulders and was relatively sheltered from the worst of the wind.

As well as a plan A of where to fish, I also had a plan of tactics, the evening was to be a soft plastic themed night :BigGrin: and I planned to bump SPs in among the rocks, where I hoped that the bass would be patrolling :wink:.

I made my first cast at about 19:45 and as the rain continued to fall relentlessly I cycled through several lures, these included the Wave Worm, Do-Live stick and USS Minnow to name just a few but apart from a small tap on the Wave Worm, possibly a small pollack, I couldn’t attract any interest. By 21:30 I could feel the rain finally seeping through my multiple layers of clothing as my shoulders gradually got damp but still I soldiered on.

As forecast, the rain did ease off at around 22:00 and by 22:15 it was dry apart from the odd rogue shower, as the rain eased though the wind picked up slightly and by 22:30 I was beginning to feel a definite chill.

As low tide approached I decided on a short walk along the shore to warm myself up and as the ground cleared I deviated slightly from my plan. The mark is quite shallow so I tried a few casts each with the Line-Thru Sandeel, Ruf Manic 135 and the Frosty which I blasted out into the darkness to cover as much ground as possible but still there was nothing doing there either.

As the tide turned I headed back to the edge of the reef and resumed my hunt with the soft plastics, but things were still quiet and eventually by 23:30, I had to face the fact that I had been stood up by my big girl :cry:.

I decided to call it a night but as usual, before I left I switched on my headlamp to have a good look around, and to take a water temperature reading. Typically when I did, there in front of me, no more than a couple of meters away was a mini schoolie about 6in long, just holding station in the calm and slightly milky water :eek:. At the sight of me he darted off into the darkness, which was enough to convince me that once more it just wasn’t to be my night :whistling:.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Hiya Andy,
A great read mate- i could almost feel your anticipation build as you arrived at your mark.
10 out of 10 for effort & "good on ya" for sticking to plan A, rightly or wrongly my usual tactic whenever possible.
Shame about the blank but the Basslet must have been a nice surprise & tad ironic considering what you were hoping for.
Tight lines for next time.
Rick;)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
There’s some real stunners aroug at present don’t be surprise if you hit a double figure fish. . Follow you heart. And travel a bit further to get your prize bud

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I’ve been stood up in the past too Andy - and not just by fish!

Gotta be in it to win it mate. It’s that time of year when they could show anywhere :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keep plugging away Andy no pun intended
There is still time to kop off with a fat lady on the beach and still time to land another big bass aswell
BP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts