World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

is there away to stop peelers from casting their shell? as i want to use them fresh at the weekend

thanks
Dan

G

·
I thought putting them in a cool place slowed down the process... not sure though. I am sure its been talked about on a thread before. Try the search.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
best in the bottom of your fridge covered with a newspaper wetted with sea water.
once they reach the point of no return dont be frightened to shell and freeze them. they will have only been frozen a couple of days and be no different on the hook. better that than loose the crab altogether trying to hold it back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought some peelers last Friday but didn't go fishing last weekend after all. I've still got them in their box with a defrosted cooler bag in a box lined with newspaper in the cellar. They're still very much alive and have not shelled as yet.

I will use them on Saturday and put them in a warmer place on Friday night to get them shedding.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
As said just keep them cooler and it should help hold them back, a few times I've kept popping crabs very cold when I had to keep them for a few days, when I took them out they were freezing and showed no signs of life but a few minutes at room temperature and they started moving again!

When I'm keeping larger numbers (50+) during the summer I have them in 1L ice cream tubs, the tubs are numbered with 1 being the closest to peeling. With a dozen crabs or so in each tub it is dead easy to check them every day and move them to a different box for a drink if need be. I've found this the best way to get them ready/hold them back for when you need them :fish:

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
mine are stacked in trays in the fridge [ usually hundreds] in differeing stages. some needing more or less water than others depending on there peeling stage and when needed. the ones getting held back always at the bottom. [the coldest part]

i will bring those well away on by leaving them in a large tray on the garage floor then when they start to crack they go in the fridge.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...
i think my problem is, is that i don't really have a spare fridge to put them in so i think i'll peel them and freeze them, hopefully i'll have a few fresh for the weekend..normally i wouldn't care but as its a comp then i do.

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Hmm...
i think my problem is, is that i don't really have a spare fridge to put them in so i think i'll peel them and freeze them, hopefully i'll have a few fresh for the weekend..normally i wouldn't care but as its a comp then i do.

thanks
Dan
I don't have a spare fridge either mate, it bugs the hell out of my mum when the fridge is full of boxes of scuttling crabs lol :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
i,ve overcome the problem of crabs in the domestic fridge(unpopular with the other half) by obtaining a polystyrene bait box, normally fish suppliers have them about 2 x3 ft then......fill with water 4-6 ....1 lt plastic milk containers, freeze them wrap them individualy in newspaper, place them next to your crabs in the box and replace every day or two ..... forgot to mention ! make sure the box has a fitted lid.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hmm...

thanks
Dan
What you need to do is 'lend' them to someone close by who has a bait fridge ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts