World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the west pier on Thursday with light gear for a couple of hours and brought in a few small whiting but every cast me and a mate were getting great big bites. We were using mackerel bait on size 2 hooks and the bites looked like decent fish on but every time nothing on. Happened quite a lot. We did bring up a few crabs but would they give a big bite? Never seen it before.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Any eels around there, the smaller ones often play with a bait. Just gives you an excuse to get back down there and try to catch whatever it was. :thumbup:

Sent Via my Nokia 3310.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If fishing "light" as you put it, it could well be big crabs. Me and the boy fish it often and his 8ft spin rod is doubled over with crabs as they curl up causing resistance, and they do show bites on the rod, but more of a pull down than tap tap. Hope thats the answer to your question as i have always found this when fishing light.

G

·
my theory, fish will take hardback crabs...the crabs that are on your bait, the crabs that are hanging on to the bait but are pulled off by the fish when it grabs them.

....the fish has a crab or two, you just have a big bite and nothing to show for it.... often people will say the fish they have caught coughed up a crab or two whereas they probably were on the bait that the fish took... along with the hook.

try a variation of the 'catch a livebait' tactic by putting a large un-baited big hook just up the line from the baited hook.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It could have been line bites. Remember your line is going quite a way down and anything swimming around it at any depth could hit it and perhaps pull it a little. That would account for the rod tip being taken down. It doesnt have to be something actually taking the hook bait. Lines nowadays can be pretty difficult for a fish to see (aint that the deal) so therefore they unwittingly strike the line while just cruising around. With that theory it could of been any number of species in a little shoal or not.....??

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
my theory, fish will take hardback crabs...the crabs that are on your bait, the crabs that are hanging on to the bait but are pulled off by the fish when it grabs them.

....the fish has a crab or two, you just have a big bite and nothing to show for it.... often people will say the fish they have caught coughed up a crab or two whereas they probably were on the bait that the fish took... along with the hook.

try a variation of the 'catch a livebait' tactic by putting a large un-baited big hook just up the line from the baited hook.
I think this happens far more than most angler realise, the fish (or squid/cuttle) take the crabs that are on the bait rather than the bait itself !

A pennel rig will stop the bait bunching on the bend of the hook and masking the point, a big fish or even a small fish attacking the bait from the top end is more likely to be hooked .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cuttlefish , we just had a recent experience with great bites on launce, nothing on but bait chomped up, this was on our boat but maybe an option, it has happen to us before , we managed to land one, so that's how I know

·
Registered
62 Posts
I fished beachley last night had the same problem bait got stripped and the knocks were good I was thinking eels or even dabs or flounder so downsized the hooks to accommodate this no luck.
I also seen the odd fish jump wich got me to think there was mullet around would they strip bait?
Maybe I might take some really small hooks next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts