World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I was boat fishing on saturday off the n.w. coast of spain (ria de pontevedra) in about 60mts of water. we caught a lot of 'poor cod', horse mackerel, comber (serranus cabrilla?) & a really beautiful turquoise & yellow wrasse. I've tried to upload a photo of it but it's 1.5MB & I don't know how to reduce it in size. I just wondered if any of you had come across such creatures in uk waters.
regards
mac

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Sounds like a cuckoo wrasse to me, they are very colourful, to reduce the photo, open it up & "save as" as a jpeg, if you have Paint Shop Pro, or even Photoshop you can alter the pixel size & reduce it even further. If you have'nt got a photo suite of any kind, go to www.tucows.com & download one for free!
blueskip

·
Registered
303 Posts
That could be a Painted Comber (serranus Scriba) There are three combers to my knowledge black tail, common, and painted, pity you did'nt hit some common sea bream they go 25lbs plus at 75cms long

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. tried to reduce the photo. don't know if you'll be able to see much detail, the fish came to the surface bug-eyed, which made it look even odder! the last time we went to this spot we caught loads of red sea bream (besugo) , common bream here (sargo) rarely exceed 3 kilos, due to overfishing, surprise, surprise!! some people say there are some big red snapper (pargo) out there, but you have to go a long way out into much deeper water, 150 mts or more.
cheers
mac

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers! I can tell the chap in the photo now!
mac

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some investigating since learning it was a cuckoo wrasse. apparently the males are blue & yellow & the females orange. on a spanish site, there was charming story that went along these lines. far more males than females are caught because, down below the male is surrounded by a gang of females. it's the male who usually decides who eats & when, which means he is the guy who normally goes 'up in the world'. the spanish writer insisted that we shouldn't feel guilty about making all these ladies widows 'cos the leading lady then undergoes some form of genderbending process & turns herself into a chap. all very dodgy in my book!
best,
mac

·
Registered
506 Posts
wish we got them here we get balan wrasse here and think we get cucko aswell but they they not that coulor o0

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey, I should start charging you for unlicenced use of my pictures :D

I'm quite pleased with the pic - it turned out well. The wind was force 7, gusting force 8 on the day that it was caught. I set off in search of a cuckoo primarily to get a picture.

You will all be pleased to know that the fish was returned unharmed :)

As for colouration: Females are virtually identical to look at: orange, with 3 black spots near the tail. Males are a wild combination of yellows/blues/browns, with no two fish looking the same. I go fishing for them at least once a year just to marvel at them.

All wrasse go through the sex change process, but it's only in the cuckoo that you see such dramatic coloration changes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
no pictures but ive had wrasse red and green/blue and orange/yellow coulor here in north east

·
Registered
506 Posts
well i catch them just of a local pier down the side basicly into rocks most of the balan wrasse i caught was just red but same had blue spots on them

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hondy said:
cool looking fish Finn... here's a Cuckoo Wrasse caught off the Isle of Man coast by Manx Fisher for reference, hope it helps!

that's a beaut. very similar to mine...
mac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts