World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Strange little session

406 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  swansea Jack 
#1 ¡
Nipped over to Chesil straight after dinner yesterday.

Monster garfish on a crosswake....had a few very big gars the last couple of weeks.

Tried a couple of new lures out for no response, mag crystal minnow and a 23g savage gear seeker, christ does that thing fly, surprised how shallow it can be fished as well. Interesting bit of metal.

Tried the longest casting plastic I have, hitherto fishless NL-1. It got hit at maximum range and had my hopes up until I got it in close enough to see what it was, 43cm mackerel. Not the best way to christen a lure I have had for a year.

The one that I found very strange was the next hit. Something stopped my crosswake moving and I thought it was weed at first, it was getting dark by now and there was a lot of weed you couldn't make out. Then it showed a bit of life, but not much.....flash of a reasonable sized fish in the water had my hopes up......56cm pollock, I haven't had one on a lure rod before and assumed the beach rods and carp rods were just overpowering them. I can see why they are not taken seriously, what a lifeless slug. Pollock on a topwater lure really struck me as weird especially in water that deep. Is that common?

NL-1 redeemed itself with a schoolie to finish up.

See less See more
#3 ¡
Had a Pollock of about 2lb on a Gunfish last weekend also...first I have had on a topper from the shore, have had them from the boat on toppers before on the manacles down in Cornwall which is submerged pinnacles of rock surrounded by deep water.

#6 ¡
im not amused when its a sqiud
shots water and black crap every were lols

#7 ¡
Tried a couple of new lures
The one that I found very strange was the next hit. Something stopped my crosswake moving and I thought it was weed at first, it was getting dark by now and there was a lot of weed you couldn't make out. Then it showed a bit of life, but not much.....flash of a reasonable sized fish in the water had my hopes up......56cm pollock, I haven't had one on a lure rod before and assumed the beach rods and carp rods were just overpowering them. I can see why they are not taken seriously, what a lifeless slug. Pollock on a topwater lure really struck me as weird especially in water that deep. Is that common?

I Fished a noisy surface lure over a 20ft reef recently were the pollock were feeding ..
They were great performers, not very co ordinated but hitting a surface lure 2ft into the air and launching themselves into 360 degree mid air roll was great to watch , a couple of hook ups as well.. granted they don't have stamina but the first runs are cracking ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.