World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter #1
Nipped over to Chesil straight after dinner yesterday.

Monster garfish on a crosswake....had a few very big gars the last couple of weeks.

Tried a couple of new lures out for no response, mag crystal minnow and a 23g savage gear seeker, christ does that thing fly, surprised how shallow it can be fished as well. Interesting bit of metal.

Tried the longest casting plastic I have, hitherto fishless NL-1. It got hit at maximum range and had my hopes up until I got it in close enough to see what it was, 43cm mackerel. Not the best way to christen a lure I have had for a year.

The one that I found very strange was the next hit. Something stopped my crosswake moving and I thought it was weed at first, it was getting dark by now and there was a lot of weed you couldn't make out. Then it showed a bit of life, but not much.....flash of a reasonable sized fish in the water had my hopes up......56cm pollock, I haven't had one on a lure rod before and assumed the beach rods and carp rods were just overpowering them. I can see why they are not taken seriously, what a lifeless slug. Pollock on a topwater lure really struck me as weird especially in water that deep. Is that common?

NL-1 redeemed itself with a schoolie to finish up.

Registered
Had a Pollock of about 2lb on a Gunfish last weekend also...first I have had on a topper from the shore, have had them from the boat on toppers before on the manacles down in Cornwall which is submerged pinnacles of rock surrounded by deep water.

Registered
Those seekers are awesome , shallow running , bass and seatrout seem to love them, used them in Ireland last week where distance was required and they didn't disappoint.

The cheeky Essex lure fisher
im not amused when its a sqiud
shots water and black crap every were lols

Registered
Tried a couple of new lures
The one that I found very strange was the next hit. Something stopped my crosswake moving and I thought it was weed at first, it was getting dark by now and there was a lot of weed you couldn't make out. Then it showed a bit of life, but not much.....flash of a reasonable sized fish in the water had my hopes up......56cm pollock, I haven't had one on a lure rod before and assumed the beach rods and carp rods were just overpowering them. I can see why they are not taken seriously, what a lifeless slug. Pollock on a topwater lure really struck me as weird especially in water that deep. Is that common?

I Fished a noisy surface lure over a 20ft reef recently were the pollock were feeding ..
They were great performers, not very co ordinated but hitting a surface lure 2ft into the air and launching themselves into 360 degree mid air roll was great to watch , a couple of hook ups as well.. granted they don't have stamina but the first runs are cracking ...

Registered
I always thought pollack were held in high regard for clutch stripping dives ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts