World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Misfit and Myself fished the Selsey west beach from 12.00 - 05.00 this morning.

Was a bit of a weird session really, planned at short notice (as this is the last of the springs that are likely to bring in hounds i just had to get out again!). Just about managed to scrape together enough crabs due to our etremely helpful local tackle shop owner a few crabs we had in the fridge and some that we had frozen down for the winter codding.

Anyway got down to Selsey and decided to fish the windmill, conditions were nearly perfect with just a little bit of easterly wind but nothing major.

We quickly got ourselves set up and whacked out a couple of big crab baits, within a couple of minutes Misfit had the mother of all bites. I've never seen a rod bend this much, sadly the inconsiderate fish decided to drop the bait.

We both reeled in a baited up and waited anticipating the next slam down. I was the first to get in, another monster bite and i was in to a good fish it ran me up and down the beach and with a little help from Misfit i landed my PB Starry 11lb14oz.

Beautiful!!

Within about 30 second of landing my fish Misfit was in, the fish gave him a seriously hard time running about 40 yards to the left before running 30 yards to the right, eventually we got the fish in and it was his pb Starry 9lb6oz

Sweet!!

After all this action within the first 15 minutes we thought we were gonna be in for a seriouly hectic night, but it wasn't to be. After the initial madness we didn't have a sniff (other than a 20cm Pout for me).

To be honest though we didn't really care after both getting into Pb fish. That's probably us done with Hounds for the year so brilliant result to end on.

·
Immigrant of Essex
844 Posts
Nice fish mate but dont right off the hounds yet as they will still come in high numbers and we still havent had the big mommas yet its still early days

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well done on the PB's guys, well deserved for the effort that you have put in this year:clap::clap::1a:

·
Registered
867 Posts
That must have been you to the left of us then... the fish were there immediately after low water and I had 11 on my first 11 casts... ended up with 13 in all... best at 11lb 12oz and 4 other doubles, with all the others in the 7-9lb range... my mate had 3 with his biggest at 10lb 2oz.

I thought the fish were acting a bit strange last night... they weren't their usual lively selves and most of them came in without too much of a struggle and seemed a bit lethargic.

Nice night to have been out though... very warm, despite the brisk easterly breeze... was still only in a t-shirt up until 1.30am!

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
dan's one was well lively, thrashing around about 10 yards out, a right angry so and so

what type of crab were you using muppet, we just had plain old shore crabs

·
Registered
867 Posts
dan's one was well lively, thrashing around about 10 yards out, a right angry so and so

what type of crab were you using muppet, we just had plain old shore crabs
The hounds I had were lively once they got to within 5 yards or so, with the odd decent pull on the way in, but in the main, they just pretty much swam in with it for most of the way, with very little resistance... in fact I had to keep stopping part way in just to see if they were still attached to the hook!... very odd!

I was using softback shore crabs (in my opinion the best smoothy bait there is)... although I had the biggest one (and only the one) on spider peeler... the fish were a long way out, which is why my mate didn't have as many... but with a following wind it was quite easy to get a good distance out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
muppet did you notice if they were all females it may be they had just pupped that would explain why they didnt :boxing: to much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well done lads !gonna sneak down there again my self tonite, where do u park when u fish at the windmill lads or do walk from the nightclub ?
Gaz

·
Registered
867 Posts
muppet did you notice if they were all females it may be they had just pupped that would explain why they didnt :boxing: to much.
Yep, all females... as they usually are from down there (don't think I've ever caught a male hound at selsey come to think of it)... I've caught many hundreds of hounds from all over the place and i can't recall a session where so many fish seemed to be so lethargic when reeling them in... I can understand the odd fish or two having an off day but not all of them on the same day... most odd!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done lads !gonna sneak down there again my self tonite, where do u park when u fish at the windmill lads or do walk from the nightclub ?
Gaz
Just look for the windmill and you can pretty much park anywhere you like around there. The little alleyway is just behind the 2 little shops to the left of the windmill.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
you should see him with his hat off Ron, no 1 all over, I think he is going over to the slightly less masculine side, reminds me of Rupert Everett and we all know what sides he bats for!!! now offering you "photos"???

I am most disturbed, especially as I am related to him

I think the visit to Ray and Nicky's house the other week has profoundly affected him

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
nice to see some big hounds never tryed for them myself but me thinks im gonna have to change that well done guys good result

1 - 16 of 16 Posts