World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out fishing over the last few nights and whilst reeling in, I have noticed a brownish coloured sludge on the last 30 or 40 yards of line that I bring in! I have had this at both Barton on Sea, Friday night and also at Southbourne a week before. Anyone else noticed this or know what it is?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Been out fishing over the last few nights and whilst reeling in, I have noticed a brownish coloured sludge on the last 30 or 40 yards of line that I bring in! I have had this at both Barton on Sea, Friday night and also at Southbourne a week before. Anyone else noticed this or know what it is?
Its Algee bloom , May rot . Lots all along Sussex coast.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
it happens every year mate, loads around the Island : sludge!

·
Registered
103 Posts
had alot of hurst on slack water, figured it was may algee,

Hopefully the so-westers and strong winds of the last couple days kicked it out of here.

·
Registered
532 Posts
May rot, you can see it slopping along your line as you reel in, although today most of it was getting blown off the line before it built up on the top eye.

It was still evident today and did not appear to effect the fishing much ( see pev bay report) but nice to see the back of it when it finally disappears.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

go to satellite view and zoom in on south coast... would that green shadowing be what the complaint here is about? or is it just shallow water?

thatta be the sandy bottom i imagine, it's more like jelly at the mo, if it gets too fibrous then it warps around yer line and blocks at the tip eye long before you see your leader, was vary bad for a week of so last year, 1st hour up and last hour down were a waste of time, with the shallow water, it concentrated the algae, making it easier to bring in a dolphin than a 100+yrd cast full of snot !

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

go to satellite view and zoom in on south coast... would that green shadowing be what the complaint here is about? or is it just shallow water?
Google Earth images are usually well out of date. Someone I know in the US checked out his house and it was still being built! Up the street the car he had five years ago was parked outside his old house. That was about a year ago so they may refresh the images a bit more often these days but I doubt if they would be anything like current in most cases.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree with lucky, the house I sold last year is still not even built, that has now been standing for almost 4 years!

As for the yucky brown stuff, it is obviously all along the south coast. I was fishing around Plymouth at the weekend and the algae, brown slimmy stuff had pitched up there. At low tide it was all along the coast and lying on the sand pools where it had been left behind.

I enjoyed catching a monster doggie and had a few good bites which resulted in loosing a couple of hooks but thats life!

Thankfully the algae substance had not made it into Plymouth sound on Monday evening when I had my last session before coming back.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Google Earth images are usually well out of date. Someone I know in the US checked out his house and it was still being built! Up the street the car he had five years ago was parked outside his old house. That was about a year ago so they may refresh the images a bit more often these days but I doubt if they would be anything like current in most cases.
yeah but you can tell from the images that its spring or summer and this problem is an annual so time of year is the thing here.. not what year!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts